Friday, March 06, 2009

Confrontation watch man, for the progress of nation...

Okay, my review of The Watchmen:



1) It is long. Way long. But worth the time.
2) Despite some pretty big changes, it sticks pretty much to the storyline.
3) Dr. Manhattan has a pretty nice penis. Who knew?
4) It's got a pretty damn fine soundtrack. I knew most of the songs.
5) I have no idea how they managed to compress all that into 2 hours and 45 minutes, but they did, and they did it very very well.
6) It's got Richard Nixon, Henry Kissenger, John F, Kennedy, Pat Buchanan, Eleanor Clift, John McLaughlin, and Lee Iacocca in it...and those are just the ones I noticed.



Of course, A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking didn't like it. That's kinda what I expected. Ghostie, who saw it earlier in the day, liked it. Ryan, my buddy from work, saw it with us, and he liked it. Gilligan was there with another friend, and after the show, we talked a bit, and HE liked it. So only ALCMDPP didn't like it...but then he's a loser with a capital L.

Tam, I know you were asking about taking your daughter...there's some violent fight scenes, with some graphic violence, but if she's seen a horror movie, she's seen worse. And there's one sex scene that a bit explicit, but not x-rated or anything. Oh, and there's the occasional Dr. Manhattan blue penis hanging around. I think you said your daughter is 13 or 14...I don't know your daughter's maturity level, but I'm pretty sure she could handle it.

It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was the best they could possibly get in this format. The graphic novel is still better, but then you can cover much more in that medium than you can in a film. And it's certainly one of the most faithful to it's source comic book movies I've ever seen. Overall, I'd give it an A-.

POLT Listening to "True" by Spandau Ballet

When you're talking about me, keep your mouth shut. - Allan Lampart, Toronto mayor

6 comments:

Tam said...

Thanks for the review hon. I think she can handle a blue penis. She watches horror movies with her Dad so I think she'll be okay. The only thing is I'm not sure who some of those people in #6 are. O_O

I'm curious why DPP didn't like it.

Anonymous said...

LOL at Michelle M's comment :)

Thanks for the review. I don't know when I'll be able to see it. Maybe next weekend. This whole week is spring break and I really don't want to try to go.

I didn't know they were showing Dr. M with penis and all. Dang! Not that you care, but there are some very nice pics of Silk Spectre II's boobies on the net from earlier movies she did.

Anonymous said...

I gave it a F-. Too long, didn't hit a plot until the last 10 min, too many flashbacks, too much blue penis, not enough yellow chicks boobs, the mask guy shouldn't have died, and a really lame super hero flying car....I found yesterdays donut story more entertaining with a much better plot...now that would have made a good movie. It had action, comedy, and a happy ending. :) DF

Polt said...

Michelle M: I thought the SAME thing when i read it! :)

TUG: There's some Silk Spectre boobies in the movie itself. Not much, but some.

ALCMDPP: Loser. With a captial L. That's all I'm sayin. But thanks for the positive comments about the donut story. :)

HUGS....

Anonymous said...

I will see this next weekend when there are no crowds (small phobia), but I am plenty excited about it. If you're giving it an A- it's definitely worth the butt-numbing nearly 3 hour run time.

Craig said...

I enjoyed watching it, but just couldn't get that into it. It was definitely made for people who were already fans.