Tuesday, October 22, 2019

But the words get stuck in my throat....

SO for about five or six weeks I was talking to this guy Adam.  He lived in a nearby town, was a sweet guy (after weeks of chatting, I knew that quite well), he's 5'10, 162 pounds and 20 years old.  Last Thursday, we hung out.  For 3 and a half hours.  In my bed.  It was lots and lots of fun, and I'm sure we'll be getting together at some point in the future.

Saturday, when I woke up I had a scratchy throat.  No biggie, it happens.  But as the day progressed, it got worse and worse, and when I was returning home, my tonsils were all swollen, and it was hard to swallow.   Oh great I thought.

Then, before I went to sleep that night, near midnight, I got a text from Adam.  He said he was in the ER and he had strep throat, and if I started getting a sore throat I should get it looked at.  "oh goodie" I thought, and told him.

Sunday morning, and 9am, I was at Urgent Care when it opened.  They took a throat swab and did the "quick test", and it came back negative.  So the doctor said to just take Advil, gargle with salt water, get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.  And they'd send the sample off to the lab to double check the results.  It was standard procedure.

Sunday night, well it was horrible.  the pain got so bad a few times, it woke me up. My throat was dry, aching, throbbing, and swollen.  Swallowing was almost impossible.  Monday, I called in to work and told them I was taking Tuesday off as well, and then had mom get me some medicated throat spray.  

During the daytime, it's not too bad. I'm constantly drinking water, ginger ale, diet coke, and sometimes, tea.  But all the liquids do keep my throat lubricated, so it doesn't hurt to swallow.  And I'm taking the Advil every four hours and that helps too.

So today, mid morning, I got a call from the urgent care, telling me lab results had come back, and, HEY, it turns out I actually DO have strep throat.  And they called a prescription into the pharmacy for antibiotics for me for take.  And since the nurse said I could be contagious up to 48 hours after starting the antibiotics, I'll be off work Wednesday as well.

So, starting today, I'm on amoxicillin, Advil, Medicated throat spray, rest and liquids.   And hopefully, very soon, I'll be able to sleep the night through without horrible throat pain.

Me, at Urgent Care, Sunday morning, waiting to be seen by the doctor.

Amoxicillin.


POLT







No comments: