Monday, February 19, 2024

I would not sell my collection, for if I did, I would cry (Part 99)....

 Today In The History Of Polt's Comic Book Collection

Today we travel back 40 years to February 1984 and Marvel's New Defenders #131!


The Defenders were always an unusual team, having members who didn't really seem to belong together, who never really had a set membership, members came and went with every issue, and who battled unusual and weird challenges.

In issue 125, a new creative team took over.  They removed all the members who had been coming and going for a while (except for Valkyrie and Gargoyle), and brought in three founding members of the X-Men, as well as former Avengers Moondragon.  And they made those six members into a more conventional superhero team, complete with official sanction by the US government.

This was not really "The Defenders".  Sales dropped.  I don't know if it was because of the member changes or just really uninteresting storylines.  I stayed with the title though, hoping it would improve.  But them, after only two years, the title was canceled. 

On the cover we have the three X-Men members: Angel, Beast and Iceman. 

POLT

No comments: