Sunday, August 27, 2017

Your protector, your defender, I will be there till you wake up.....

So last Friday, Netflix released "The Defenders" and I binged it over this past week.


This is, in case you are unaware, the Marvel heroes dark, gritty, grim, street level series.  It teams up Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage (Power Man) and Iron Fist (Danny Rand).

I was, unfortunately, underwhelmed by the entire time.

There was too much mysticism, too much K'un L'un, too much The Hand, and immortality, and Elektra back from the dead, and so on.  See, in Daredevil, and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's own series, there was a lot of fighting ninja, and gangs, and street crime, and that's the way it should be.  Then Iron Fist (which was the weakest of the individual series) had a whole bunch of Eastern magic, and ancient mystic martial arts and so on.  And unfortunately, all of the Iron Fist crap is what permeated the Defenders series.  It wasn't grounded in street crime or the criminal underground or gang violence, it was all about magic this is and mystic that and frankly, the other three members weren't in their element.

As in the individual series, Iron Fist was the weakest.  I like Jessica Jones, the best.  She had the best lines, and the best attitude, and was criminally underutilized, in my opinion.  Luke Cage was very well done also (and sexy as all get out) maintaining his Do The Right Thing Always way of looking at issues....and being bullet proof when needed.  Daredevil was, frankly, pissing me off.  "Oh Electra didn't kill me the times she had the chance, so I KNOW I can get through to her and SAVE her!"  PFFFFFT!  Stupid.   And Iron First was whiny, childish, and uninteresting, which is unfortunate, because he's the cutest guy on the show.  (Luke Cage is a sexy hunk, Iron First is a cute twink).

Oh and Sigourney Weaver was simply wasted in this whole endeavor.  Very disappointed with her whole character.  Although I still LOVE Madame Gao.  I have since the first Daredevil movie, and through Iron Fist, and I still love her now!

So as far as I know, The Punisher is up next, which I'm sure I will NOT enjoy, as I don't like the character in comic books and I did not like the portrayal in the second Daredevil series.  And that's all I've heard of that's planned (athough I might not have heard of it if they're planning something else).

It is what it is.  If you've seen the others, then watch it.  But don't go into it with any expectations.  And if you have seen the others, then don't watch it, cause you'll have no freakin idea what's going on!  Watch the others first!

POLT

No comments: