Saturday, August 23, 2014

Who are you, who, who, who, who.....

So tonight, soon, is the premiere of the new season of Doctor Who, with Peter Capaldi (I think I spelled that right) as the 12th Doctor.


I'm going into this with an open mind, but I am not expecting much and have very low expectations.  With Stephen Moffit (I think I spelled that right) continuing as the showrunner, I have little hope in something amazing.  

See, the series with the 9th and 10th Doctors (with Russell Davies as the show runner) was some THE best scifi I ever saw on TV.  But when Davies left, and Moffit took over....well....meh.  I enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor, and I liked the Pond, although the whole Amy pregnant with River/River marrying the Doctor/Rory dying, but actually being a fake Roman Centurian/etc, etc, etc were all oh so confusing.  And in addition to Moffit's overblown and complicated plotlines, WAY too many stories were too introspective, too much of let's-get-inside-so-and-so's-head-and-see-what-makes-them-tick kinda stuff that I just found way too boring.  I honestly felt, in general, Matt Smith and the 11th Doctor were wasted doing storylines that were, well, frankly, beneath the actor and the character.

And now, even with the actor changing (and I'm not at ALL happy about the actor they selected, but I'm pretty sure I can come to terms with that), the showrunner is the same one who caused the last Doctor to be uninteresting to me.

And I've heard (although I have no idea how true it is) that THIS Doctor will be more...dark.  ooooooh, all the fan boys shiver with excitment.  Pfffft, fuck that.  WHY must everything be DARK, and GRITTY, and ANGST-FILLED?  I mean, this way of thinking has already RUINED the Superman movie experience.  I really, really REALLY hope it doesn't infect and ruin the Doctor Who experience.


It starts in just a little bit.  I guess I'll know soon enough, eh?

POLT

No comments: