Tuesday, August 26, 2014

So, after watching the Doctor Who premiere Saturday and mulling it over, I can say this about it: It wasn't dark.  Thank Gallifrey.


No, what I'd call it was...buffoonish.

-I'll use the window.
-I'll run around on rooftops in a nightshirt.
-I'll jump of the roof and drop through a tree hitting several branches.
-I'll end the fall hanging upsdie down from a branch.
-Let throw a newspaper and hit Clara in the head.
-Let's make a cartoon noise when Lady Vastra puts him to sleep.
etc, etc. etc.

It got less buffoonish as the episode progressed (I'm ignoring Strax's inelegant descent....it's horrible how the Sontarans are made into just comedy relief anymore) but still, that's the main impression I had of the episode: Foolish clownishness. (and the dinosaur....it just seemed gratuitous and unnecessary to me)

I'm guardedly optimistic it will still be okay...but with Stephen Moffat still as showrunner....I don't hold high hopes of that.

POLT

No comments: