Monday, August 04, 2014

Guardian angels around my bed, joining me in my prayers....

So last Friday night, I went to see Guardians Of The Galaxy.


I'm not raving about it, but it was entertaining and fun.  I had fears they were trying too hard to be funny...and a few times they did.  I mean, a dance off?  Really?  Oh I know there was a lot of laughs in the theater at that line, but frankly, I found it stupid, jarring and out of place.   But by and large the humor was actually quite funny.

And the movie was, as I said, FUN.  And this is what's totally and completely wrong with the DC movies.  I mean, the Batman trilogy was dark, but it's Batman, it's SUPPOSED to be dark.  So, from that DC took that ALL their movies (and indeed, the comic book universe as well) had to become equally dark, gritty, 'more realistic' and frankly, not fun.  At least Man Of Steel was.  And I fear, from what Ive seen, the future DC Justice League movie (oops, I mean Batman vs Superman...pfffft) will be the same way.  Which is a shame, cause they're gonna have to pervert the characters so much to do this.  Ah, but this is about GOTG, not DC....let's get back on track....

I rate all superheroes against The Avengers, which is the best ever superhero movie.  And GOTG didn't rate as high as that.  But it was pretty damn good nonetheless.  Like I said, it was fun.  And enjoyable.    (although the scene at the end of the credits was frankly, frightening.  Seriously?  Howard The Duck???)   And the cast, well it had Uhura from the New Star Trek movies, it had Roxy's husband from the movie Chicago, it had The Doctor's former companion Amy Pond, it had Barbara Streisand's son, and even Glenn Close!  (Marvel's really getting the Oscar winners, aren't they?  Glenn Close, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Jeff Bridges)

So anyway, after all this ramblings, I'll sum up by saying: Guardians Of The Galaxy, it's no The Avengers, but it's a fun ride!

POLT

3 comments:

stratcat45 said...

And it had Michael Rooker - how could you leave him out????

stratcat45 said...

And it had Michael Rooker - how could you leave him out???

Tam said...

Considering I went to this having NO clue what it was about beyond a talking raccoon, I did enjoy it. As you said, it was fun. Not great art but an entertaining way to spend an evening. (And freaking expensive here.)