Tuesday, May 31, 2016

How was my Memorial Day?  Let me tell ya.

The ParisPekings, all five of them (Mr,. Mrs. and the girls), came to my house as planned....albeit a bit late. Surprising, is it not, that someone who every Monday gets up at 4AM to get to work on time, somehow doesn't get up in time to get here by 830AM, but whatever.....

So we walked to Main Street, to my family's usual standing place to watch the parade.  And there we watched the parade.  It was...well, a Waynesboro Memorial Day Parade...take that to mean what you think it means, cause it probably does.

Anyway, after the 45 minutes of the parade, all of us then walked down to the town park.  There, while the girls played on playground equipment, we three sat or stood in the shade of trees.  They played for perhaps a half hour, and then we proceeded to walk back to my house here.

Now everywhere we went, we were under trees, so I don't know HOW it happened, but I got sunburnt.  I'm red like a lobster, a very nice shade of light red, almost pink.  *SIGH*  My forehead especially, but my face, and the back of my neck.  And yes, I now fit in better for the area where I live because I'm truly a redneck.  *SIGH*

Anyway, next we drove out to mom's cottage.  Since not everyone was there yet, we went out back of mom's cottage to the Greens.  It's a large grassy area with cottages on both sides of it, and a concrete walkway that circles it.  The girls rode their scooters on it while we three adults sat on a bench near mom's cottage and watched them and talked (and this bench too was under a tree).

When my cousins and their two sons (one 11 years old, the other 18 months) arrived, we went out front to the patio where mom had set up the tables and was using the grill.  We had a ton of food: burgers, dogs, baked beans, mac salad, cheeses, chips, deviled eggs, fruit tray, veggie tray, and I can't remember everything else that was there.  But it was ALL delicious.  See, this is my first plate:


Yummy!  Yummy squared!

When they arrived, the 18mth old was asleep.  His mom put him on the bed with pillows on either side to let him sleep.  When some of us would go into the cottage to get some food, we'd check on the lil guy to see how he was doing.

One time I went in, he was sitting up in bed, his hair going ALL over the place, looking around a bit confused and just ready to start fussing.  But I went in and said, "hey buddy, you wanna go see everyone else?" And put my hand out.  He reached up for them, which was kinda surprising, since he wouldn't go to me earlier in the day at the parade.  But I guess since I was rescuing him from strange place where he woke up alone, I was an alright guy.

In fact, even after we went outside with the others, and I sat down, he still stayed cuddled up against me for a bit.  See:


He's such a cutie.  When his mother presented him with watermelon, then he grabbed a plastic fork and ate it all himself.  A LOT of it.

Later on, after the ParisPekings returned home, we went out back at to the Greens as well, and watched as the lil guy just played around and the 11 year old rode his bike all over the Greens.  And we sat there and talked and such.

We cleaned up and left all about the same time.  I returned home, showered, and got online for a bit and watched some TV, basically just relaxing and trying not to think about the stinging in my neck.

Anyway, the day was fun, with lots of great food, great people, parades, kids, and, as I said, fun!

POLT

No comments: