Monday, October 24, 2022

 Well....

As I mentioned before, my laptop went tits up: was very slow, taking forever to do anything, would randomly freeze up. SO I ordered a new one.  Had to get a smaller screen (the 17 inch I was used to cost $400 more! than the 15 inch I got).

It arrived Friday.  My bestest buddy A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking, agreed to come over Saturday (as I had taken off that day unrelated tot he computer) and set it up for me.  These things never go well for me, but he was only here about an hour.  Got it all set up and started the download of my over 190,000 files from Carbonite.  

This download took like an hour and a half, finishing sometime overnight last night.   I got onto the new laptop and found that.....a goodly portion of my pics had a red X in the corner.  There were there, but not viewable.  See how that "never goes well for me" thing happens.  So I called Carbonite support.  Didn't spend a lot of time there, explained to the guy what the issue was and he said it sounds like Onedrive is full and holding things up or something.  He said I had to uninstall Onedrive and that should help it.  And that he couldn't help with that. 

So I hung up and looked that up online.  Found out the three quick steps to unlinking Onedrive.  And I did that and then, for nearly and hour it sat there, almost but not quite, completed with what it was trying to do.  Trying to get help for Onedrive was a joke.  No phone numbers given, every time I typed in a problem taken to the same screen, around and around and around in fucking circles.  It was horrible.   But the computer was stuck.

With a rock in the pit of my stomach and fear that my new laptop was fucked and/or I'd have a HUGE problem accessing my pics, or that I'd just have to go back to using the old slow cranky laptop, I did a hard shutdown of the laptop.

I restarted the laptop, a lil window popped up (and I can't seem to get rid of, but that's a minor affair) saying Onedrive could not be located.  And when I went to my pic folders....everything was there!  I've not down a lot with the new computer, but assuming nothing else pops up (and the whole "never goes well for me" thing happens anymore), I'm back to posting on here reguarly.  We'll see....

If I go black and not posting again for awhile, well, you'll know what happened......

POLT

No comments: