Saturday, June 25, 2016

Changing ages, changes thrones....

Okay, I've just finished Season 3 of Game of Thrones.  I'm about halfway through what's aired so far.  Here are my impressions (and there will OBVIOUSLY be spoilers):

It really drags at times.  Sometimes a few episodes in a row are slow and, honestly, somewhat boring.  And then they do a "The Rains Of Castamere".

I really did think the invasion of King's Landing near the end of season 2 was going to be one of the best episdoes ever.  And it was.  But then along came the aforementioned "The Rains Of Castamere".  Oh.  My. GOD!  I'm pretty sure I literally gasped out loud more than once during that episode.  Totally did NOT see that coming at all!

I'm very VERY much interested in the story about the Mother Of Dragons, and all she's doing.  But damn, it's like I'm watching an entirely different series when her stories appear.  And it's talking so LONG to get to where the story is going to end up.

There's a lot of eye candy in the series, but the leader of the Unsullied, Grey Worm....damn, he is one sexy mofo.  See?



Boobs.  Boobs, boobs, boobs, and more boobs.  Oh, there's a woman's ass, here's several more episodes of boobs.  Here's a snatch, there's another ass, and OH LOOK, more boobs!  SIGH.  It's obvious this thing was written by (and filmed by) straight men.

Yes, I know, there's been three full frontals for me (believe I've been counting, and one was Hodor) and there's been a couple man asses.  And plenty of shirtlessness from the guys.  But still.....this is HBO....would it kill them tio give us one, just ONE, full frontal erection?

The dragon special effects are pretty nice.

Two major things bother me: that WALL doesn't seem to do such a great job when, so far, a LOT of people have either gone over, through, under, or presumably, around it.  It's almost like its made of Swiss cheese.  The other thing is the traveling.  I don't get the impression Westeros is a small continent, and yet people seem to travel over it....great distances and surprising speed.  But maybe I've just been mis-estimating the layout of the land.

I wouldn't want to be the one to piss off the Warlocks.

I have no idea who Sam survived the finale of the second season, but he did.  And I didn't really foresee him becoming a character who gets all the screen time he does.

I'm surprised at how many actors I'm seeing that I know from elsehwere.  Gilly (Sam's girl) and the bastard who's a smith, both were in Skins; The Queen of Dragon's brother and the tall blonde kid who has seizures were both in Doctor Who (the same episode in fact), and of course Arya was a major character in Doctor Who this past year; the lord in charge of the Twins was the janitor in the Harry Potter series.  The guy who's been torturing Theron, I think his name is Ramsey, was in The Misfits.  And I'm sure there's other that I've forgotten about.

All in all, a very good, entertaining show.

POLT

No comments: