Monday, June 27, 2016

I got no taste, for second place....

So Hillary Veep.

I've heard many suggestions.  Here are some of them, and my thoughts on them.

Bernie Sanders.
Absolutely no chance of this.  I don't think he'd accept if she were stupid enough to offer.  

Elizabeth Warren.
Nope, not gonna happen.  She and Hillary don't particularly like each other.  She's much more exciting and energetic than Hillary and you don't want your backup to draw more attention than you yourself do.  Her replacement in the Senate would be appointed by a Republican governor.  She has very little experience, being not even all the way through her first Senate term.  And she'd be much better in the Senate fighting the Republicans there.

Julian Castro
HUD secretary, former mayor of San Antonio.  I have been saying he's going to be the pick since last summer.  He's young (early 40s), Latino and from Texas.  I'd still like her to pick him, BUT, I dont think she will.  Hillary doesn't need to sore up support with Latinos, Trump's doing that FOR her.  Texas might be close this election, but I don't think it'll flip to the Democrats, and I dont think him on the ticket will change that.  And he has little experience to take over as President, like Warren.

Sherrod Brown
He's not very exciting and is actually a rather dull speaker.  Worse, thought, he's from Ohio, which mans the Republican Governor John Kasich would appoint his successor.   

Thomas Perez
Labor Secretary.  Another Latino.  Would not have a Republican governor appoint his replacement.  But he's got no name recognition (I had never heard of him before I read his name on a list), and I honestly don't know what else he would bring to the ticket.

Tim Kaine
He's a senator from VA, meaning a Democrat would appoint his replacement.    He's been a goveror, a Senator, head of the Democratic party, all kinda of experience.  He speaks fluent Spanish.  He's not a terribly exciting speaker, but he's got all the experience to take over, if need be.  He's from a swing state as well.  I now think he WILL be her choice.

There are other names I've heard: Sen. Amy Klobler (sp?) or Minnesota, Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado, even Bill Clinton (even though he's not eligible).  But my money, now is on Kaine. I'm not excited about the choice, but I'm not voting for or against Hillary regardless of who her VP choice is.

POLT

No comments: