Saturday, May 17, 2014

A real good time, won't you be my prom queen?

Tonight is prom night here in my town.  From the photos of Facebook I've seen there's a girl I graduated with has a son that's going.  And one of my good friends has a step-daughter who's going.  And another good friend has twin sons, and one of them is going.

Here's the one twin that's going and his date:


Anyway, all these photos got me thinking about MY proms.

My junior prom was the more fun of the two.  I had initially asked this girl Jackie.  She sat behind me in one of my classes.  But her mother was very strict and wouldn't let he go to the prom at all.  So I then asked a good friend of mine to go.  And she anxiously agreed.  When I asked her, it was something like "Hey Cathy, I asked Jackie to go to the prom, but she can't, so do you want to go?"

Yeah, I was kind of a dick.  But totally inadvertently I assure you!  I didn't even realize it was a dick-ish thing to say until another I told another friend and she told me it was dick-ish.  But Cathy told me later (years later) that she had a huge crush on me and was flattered when I asked.  That's why she didn't care how I asked.

Anyway, she and I went with another friend Michelle and her boyfriend.  We had a pleasant supper at a place here in town and then had a great time at the prom. Afterwards, we all went to Cathy's house, where we changed into more comfortable clothes, watched several movies (one of which I think was "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes!").  There also was serious making out...but nothing beyond that.  We all spent the night there, but the other guy and I slept on the floor of the den, as I recall.

Anyway, a year later, was my senior prom.  Earlier in the year, I started dating Michelle.  Yes THE Michelle that I just mentioned above.  So we made the arrangements to go to the prom: buying the tickets, renting the tux, she buying her dress, making dinner reservations, etc.  But by the time prom rolled around....she and I hated each other.  Detested each other.  We had pretty much broken up, without ever actually making it official.  yeah, awkward.

But since we had already spent all that money, we decided we had to go through with it.  We went with two other couples (who I can not remember at all now) out to eat.  We talked pretty much to them and not to each other.  When we got to the Prom we stood in line, got out picture taken and then basically separated and didn't see each other again until it was time to leave.

I don't recall what we did afterwards, but a group of us hung out somewhere together.  But again, Michelle and I were not together during this time.  Fun times.

As I said, the Junior Prom was MUCH better than the Senior Prom.  And I hope everyone has a fun and safe prom tonight!

POLT

No comments: