Monday, October 13, 2014

We all believe in insulin, perfume, and soap...

So today was my quarterly doctor visit, or as I call it, "Insulin Day".   When she walked, after our greetings, I said, "Okay, Doc, what's the A1C number and then let's talk insulin."  The A1C was 9.5.


And talk insulin we did.

After going over my meds one last time to make sure there was nothing else she could do, she said I was going on the Lantas pen.  "It's not a shot," she assured me, "Its a pen,"  "Yeah, okay, whatever," thought I.

Anyway, she sent in a nurse to take me blood sugar level and show me how to use a glucometer (I think that's what it called) even though I already knew how to use that from the time I was doing it 10 years ago or more.  And then two nurses came in with a trial pen filled with saline to show me how to give myself the shot.  Er, I mean, the pen!

It went MUCH better than I expected.  I honestly didn't even feel the needle going in.  I was amazed.  Getting a drop of blood to test hurts more than actually getting the insulin.  Oh, and just less than half an hour ago, I actually gave myself the first dose of insulin.  And again, no pain at all.

I'm really not upset about having to be on insulin.  Mind you, I don't WANT to be, but I don't really want to go blind and on dialysis and lose my feet either.  And since I apparently don't have the willpower to eat like I should and to exercise like I should, then this is what I need to do.  And the fact it doesn't really hurt at all, and the fact that I only have to do it once a day at the same time of the day, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a big inconvenience or a problem.  (well the blood testing three times a day, yeah, that'll be an inconvenience, but eh, whatever).

So, according to what the nurse said today, I am now "Insulin dependent".  Yeah, I don't really like that diagnosis, but if, in the end, it helps me get this under control and gets me healthier, then I'll take the diagnosis.  And wear it proudly.

POLT



No comments: