Monday, October 27, 2014

Who is this stranger, who comes here every night....

True story:

I looked in my book this afternoon and got a list of the cards I needed for November, one of which was the oldest ParisPeking daugher named Abby.  I also had her birthday written down as 2001, making her turning 13 this year.

When I was at the store picking out the cards, I got to thinking, "Can Abby really be 13?  She's pretty small.  But then, kids age differently...and this IS the year I had written down."  So I got a card for a 13 year old girl.

Cut to several hours later (just about 15 minutes ago) when I pull the cards out to sign them, address them and get them all ready to be mailed later next month.  I signed Abby's card, put the $10 inside and before I licked the envelope, I got to thinking again, "Hmmm, if Abby's 13, the means the other girls are like 11 and 9....and I KNOW they're not that old.  I better just call."

So I dialed the home number of the ParisPekings.  A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking picked it up and this conversation happened:

ALCMDPP: Hello.
POLT: How old is Abby?
ALCMDPP: Who is this?
POLT (surprised): How old is Abby gonna be?
ALCMDPP: Who IS this?
POLT (Thinking Abby might be right next to him): Is she gonna be 13?
ALCMDPP: WHO is this?
POLT: .....are you kidding?

And he hung up.

And I thought, "WHAT THE HELL?"  I further thought, "Was he serious?  What WAS all that?  How did he not know my voice?"  And THEN I thought, "Well I sure as hell can't call him back to see what was going on.  He might call the cops!"  So I texted him.

I had just sent the text when my phone rang, it was his number.  I barely got the word Hello out when he starts explaining something about being in the basement and the phone down there doesnt have caller ID, and it's an old phone so it's kinda static-y and he just couldn't really hear everything and it didn't sound like me and he was SO sorry.

And we laughed.  And then I found out Abby turns 10, not 13.  

POLT: Hmm, so do you know a girl who's turning 13 soon, cause I've got a card for her.
ALCMDPP: I can say my knowledge of 13 year old girls is pretty lacking.
POLT: Well, it's better than MY knowledge of 13 year old girls.
ALCMDPP: Hmm, good point.

So, in the end, after ALCMDPP's paranoia got the better of him, after I was done laughing and being mystified, and after getting everything all straightened out, the bottom line is....I have to buy another birthday card.  *SIGH*

POLT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, couldn't be more sorry

Polt said...

I'm still smiling just thinking about it....and see what a great story it is?? :)

HUGS....

Amie said...

I can't wait until I get my 10 dollars. wink wink