Thursday, December 15, 2022

Tried to be a mess, tried to do my best (Part 14)....

 Best Of....

I am, as everyone should know, a HUGE football fan.  Have been for over 40 years.  In that time, I've heard a LOT of people call games.  There have a been quite a few stinkers (Jon Gurden, Joe Theisman, Dennis Miller), but there have been quite a few really good ones. 

So today, I'm gonna give you the Best Of Football Broadcasters.

The best of ALL time is without a doubt John Madden.  He's unparalleled and with never be surpassed, God rest his soul.  

Right now, Tony Romo is arguably the best broadcaster.  I love listening to him and how he calls the game.  And when the guy I'm gonna name retires, unless someone else suddenly pops up, Tony will become the best of the NFL broadcasters. 

But he's surpassed by one man:  


Al Michaels

He had a 20 year stint on Monday Night Football, has called Sunday night and Thursday night football games, and has called Super Bowls.  He also called the 1980 Olympic hockey game between the USA and the USSR , when he shouted, when the USA won, "Do you believe in miracles?!?!?!"    AND during the World Series in 1989, in San Francisco he was there to call the game when the earthquake hit and knocked power and tv coverage out.

But regardless, he knows his stuff (even now at age 78), and even though he's cut back and doesn't call a game each week, when he does, his voice IS the voice of football to me, right now. (again, Madden held that title previously, and Romo will after him, but for now, it's Al Michaels!)

POLT

No comments: