Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Walk up to the bar, buying drinks like a star....

This evening, there was a knocking on my window and then the front doorbell rang.  It was mom.  She had walked down to the credit union and had stopped by on the way home.

She had me laughing.  Earlier in the day, she had been playing cards with the group of ladies she plays with.  Today they were playing at a local club, like the American Legion, or Eagles, or Elks, or Owls, or VFW, those kinda places.  I think she said it was the Eagles, although that not really important.

At any rate, there were some new ladies playing this time, including Mrs. King...who was my 6th grade teacher.  Mom and Mrs. King introduced themselves and mom said, "You had my son in 6th grade."  And Mrs. King asked who I was, and mom said, "Polt." (obviously NOT what she said, as I didn't go by Polt until 15 years later.) Mrs. King took a few seconds and then said, "Oh YES!  Him.  Oh he and John Smith (also not his real name) were in the class together, and they both knew more about history than *I* did!"
And that's funny because I John Smith WAS in her class with me....back in 1979/80!  35 years ago!  And she still remembered me and John!  Who knew I was so indelible? 

So we talked a bit more, and Mom said when the game was over, she was on her way out when one of the other women, Jane, said to mom, "You wanna have a drink?  Do you drink?"  And mom said not really.  And Jane told her, "Well you can have a Coke with me.  Let's sit at bar and drink.  I got nowhere to be for a little bit."  And mom said okay.

Then she starts laughing and said, "That was the first time I have EVER sat at a bar.  And drank.  I had an amaretto sour.  And I drank it.  At the bar!  I'm 71 years old and I've just had my first time drinking at a bar!"  And through my laughing I said, "Well better late than never!"

Oh, she does make me laugh. Both with her stories and listening to her laughing while she tells her stories!  I'm just glad, though, it was only ONE amaretto sour.  Cause Mom's not a drinker, and any more than that...well, she probably wouldn't have been walking to my house...or anywhere actually.

POLT


3 comments:

Amie said...

I saw your mom walking to your house. She did look a bit tipsy. wink wink

Michelle M. said...

Your mom is the cutest.

vuboq said...

OMG! LOVE!