Monday, January 11, 2016

We could be heroes, just for one day...

Found out this morning Bowie passed away.  It quite saddened me.

I discovered David Bowie in the late 1980s.  It was when nothing on the radio was worth listening to ("rap, sap, crap and heavy metal") and still a few years away from the awesomeness of Nirvana and the grunge revolution.  So I turned to the classic rock station.  There, I got turned on to the Stone, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, the Who, Pink Floyd, and....David Bowie.  

I own at least two, possibly three different "Best Of" Bowie CDs.  "Heroes" was featured in "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" movie, a good one I just saw not to long ago. Bowie also features prominently in "C.R.A.Z.Y.", a Canadian film, in French with subtitles.  Loved this movie a whole lot.  And of course, there's "The Velvet Goldmine" a movie with thinly viewed Bowie and Mick Jagger characters in it.

I remember, back in the mid-90s, dancing at Headquarters, the gay bar in Hagerstown.  I was dancing with this hot little number, Sean, Of The Sean-And-Brian couple (it's what we called him).  The bar had TV's hanging around where they'd sometimes play the vidoes to whatever song was being remixed.  I dont remember which song, or which remix of it it was, but the video of David Bowie singing it came on the TVs.  Sean stopped dancing, stopped me dancing and pointed to it.  And then he yelled (cause it was so loud) into my ear, "It's Bowie's world, we're all just privileged enough to be living in it with him."  And then we resumed dancing.

The world is, today, without it's Bowie.  But we all, at least, have the memories, and more importantly, the music.

We could be heroes, just for one day....

POLT

No comments: