Sunday, March 19, 2017

While the symphony played, I was starting to fade.....

So in the middle of this week, I got a call from my friend Michelle.  She said she had tickets to the Maryland Symphony Orchestra Saturday night for a presentation of The Planets by Gustav Holst, and did I want to go?

Well I've never been to the symphony, but I do enjoy some classical music sometimes, so sure, why not?  So I said yeah, let's go.

After work on Saturday, I picked her up and then drove us into town and parked in a parking garage.  Two stores down was the Gourmet Goat, where we ate supper and a few drinks.  Then we walked (in the rain) about a block to the Maryland Theater.  Our seats were 'cheap seats', in the next to the last row of the upper balcony.  Neither of us cared because it's the symphony, all we needed to do was hear things, not watch actors on a stage or what have you.

It was good music.  I enjoyed it.  Although, to be honest, I did start to drift off a bit during Uranus (giggity, giggity).  But overall I enjoyed it.  Then we left, I drove her home and came home myself.  And of course I have some pics:

Here we are, before leaving her place.

I told the bartender I wanted something purple.  I didn't care what was in it, I just wanted a purple drink.  And this is what she brought me.  Don't know what it is, I think it's a Grapetini.   But it tasted just like purple SweetTarts!  It was SO good!  So good in fact I had two of them.

And our toast!  To a great evening!  I, with my possible grapetini, she with her grapefruitini.

My supper: Chicken Oscar.  It was a perfectly cooked, and covered with some crab meat, asparagus, field greens covered in a (i think) lemon wine sauce.  I am certain, though that it was absolutely delectable! 

And this was the view from our seats.  Above the orchestra you'll see a large screen.  During the symphony, as they played the various movements (Mars, Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) they showed slides and photos from the planets on the screen.  They also had a movement on Pluto and also The Stars, that were not part of the original score.

But all in all, a very fun evening.

POLT

No comments: