Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bits-N-Pieces

Last Monday, I went to the doctor for a physical/regular visit. He told me that because of all the weight I had lost, my triglycerides were good, my bad cholestrol had dropped down to the levels he wanted it to be, my good cholestral wasn't as high as he wanted but still okay, and my blood pressure was, quote, "divine". However, my A1c, which was 8.4 previously, was now 8.9. And he wanted it under 6. And this means that my blood sugar situation, my diabetes, is NOT improving, even though everything else apparently has.

He said it's possibly my pancreas might just be shutting down production of insulin. Which would mean, if that happens, I have to go on insulin. Which means....shots. Shots I have to give myself! Ugh. I'm gonna keep trying to lose the weight and hopefully get things back under control. At work, I usually have several cups of tea during the day. I used to take it with 3 creamers and 3 sugars. I now take it with NOTHING. I can't give up Pepsi, but what I'm doing is, when I go out to eat, I get Diet Pepsi and somehow choke that down while I eat. When I have an ice cold glass of Pepsi at home, I still have to have regular Pepsi, but maybe that too will change eventually.

I hate making all these changes and giving up food and stuff I like...but I'd like giving myself shots even less.
*******************************************
Last week, one night, I got the DVD "The Boys In The Band" from Netflix. It's a gay classic and I figured it was about time I had seen it. What did I think of it? Well, as a slice of gay history from right around the Stonewall era, I think it's invaluable. But my GOD, it's a depressing film. Nearly all the gay men are suffer my axiety and self loathing. Few of them are very friendly towards one another. They're bitter and snippy and snide. I mean, yeah, there's some great lines, but a lot of they say is hurtful towards one another.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy the movie, mainly because, as I said, it was an enlightening look at gay history. To see how much Micheal tried to cover up from his straight friend what was going on was quite an eye opener. I mean now, I don't go around broadcasting my sexuality, but I certainly don't try to explain it away or make excuses or what have you.

But still, it's very interesting to see gay life as it was about the time I was born. And how, despite the problems still ongoing with gay rights, it shows how much times have changed.
*******************************************
Friday night, after work, I went to The ParisPekings for a supper of citrus chicken, stuffing, and mixed veggies cooked by A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking himself! I snapped a photo of the table after the vultures we finished eating.


After getting the girls to bed, we settled in to watch a movie and decided upon "Inglorious Basterds". I had wanted to see it what with all the Oscar buzz that surrounded it.

But my lord, it was boring. Plodding, tedious, slow...honest to God there were two times when I said out loud, "Can something happen, PLEASE?" The whole freakin' thing could have taken 40 minutes tops if they didn't waste all that time just sitting around talking. And talking about things that didn't even advance the plot or amount to anything. And don't even get me started on the historical inaccuracies.

I have no idea who thought this movie was even remotely Oscar worthy. I suppose it was the Tarantino name. With anyone else, this wouldn't even be a blip on anyone's radar.
*******************************************
Thursday night, right after work, I was invited out to dinner by two of my female coworkers. A former female coworker joined us there later. A tell you, a 'girl's night out' dinner is NOT like any other meal I've ever been to. There was talk of Vera Wang handbags, chick flicks movies I had never heard of, and discussions of the mysteries of their husbands' penises and penises in general. They had a lot of questions, and as the only one there WITH a penis, I tried to answer the questions for them. But they wouldn't listen, and kept chattering amongst themselves about all things penii. It was...exhausting.
********************************************
I know for a FACT spring is here. When I was coming home from work Saturday, there was a wasp in the car. It kept flying around the back window, walking across it and such. I had all four windows down hoping he would fly out, but no. He liked it too much apparently. I drove to moms for another reason but I mentioned the wasp and she got two fly swatter out of the house and managed to trap the wasp on one of them, pull it out of the car and then shake it off. It wasn't damaged, it flew away. And I felt so impotent. It was my 67 year old mother that got the wasp out of MY car. *SIGH*
********************************************
I've been running into Corey a lot recently, definitely a good thing, ya know? A week ago Saturday when I was at the mall with my co-worker to see a movie, we ran into Corey and talked a bit there. This past Satruday was Corey's 21st birthday, so I sent him a card and called him in the afternoon. Then, Sunday, my buddy Michelle and i decided to go for a walk in the park since it was so beautiful outside.


We werent' there anymore than ten minutes before Corey called me, he had seen my car in the parking lot. So we three met up there and walked around for a bit and talked and stuff. Just had a great time. And of course, Michelle loved him. I mean, how can one NOT love Corey.

As he was combing his beard, I laughed at him for his narcissim. He told me not to mock the beard comb. It all made me laugh, so I snapped a photo. This will probably be the first clear photo of him I've posted here. Enjoy.

*******************************************
And despite the cuteness shown above, I'll end this Bits-N-Pieces with the obligatory how sexy guy.


POLT

9 comments:

Tam said...

I adore your new palace. It's gorgeous.

Hav you ever seen Shelter? Everyone says it's a great movie but they don't carry it at Blockbuster. Not sure I want to pay money for it though either and I don't do Netflix.

Glad you hear your Dr. is happy. Hopefully you can get the other stuff under control.

13messages said...

Congrats on the good checkup and good luck avoiding any shots in the future. My best to you.

Mark said...

I know you're a Pepsi man, but if you have to switch to diet, try Diet Coke. I find it much easier to choke down. But even better is Diet Dr. Pepper. It honestly tastes close to the real thing.

grumpy said...

Here is some positive reinforcement! I have been a diabetic for almost 30 years and have taken insulin twice a day. It really isn't at all bad, and, I guarantee it helps keep you alive. Shots don't hurt. And I don't like to give anyone advice, but try very hard to keep your A1c to 6 or very near it----in the long run it will progong your happy life.

hh

Anonymous said...

You could also give up the soft drinks entirely and stick with water.

That helps a lot!

The new Spring Palace looks good.

Michelle M. said...

Good for you for taking care of your health - keep it up!

I'm starting to think Mama Polt can do it all.

Still jealous every time I read about you doing something with Michelle and it's not me : ).

hoteltuesday said...

GIVING YOURSELF SHOTS! I hope it doesn't come to that. I could never give myself shots!!!

stratcat45 said...

Trust me when I say that you'll acquire the taste for diet soda. Try Coke Zero or Pepsi O, I really like the Diet Cokes and Pepsi's that have cherry, vanilla, lime, etc. flavors in them. Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet A&W Root Beer taste like the real thing!!

mkf said...

start cutting your pepsi with perrier [or some other hypercarbonated mineral water--club soda isn't fizzy enough]. start with, like, 4:1 and gradually work your way up to 1:1.

you'll still get the taste and the burn, but [if you do it slowly] it'll get progressively cleaner and lighter until you get to the point that when you go back and drink a full-strength, sugary soda it'll make you gag.

trust me: it works, and the process is pretty painless.