Sunday, August 07, 2011

On the border, I'm walkin' the line...

Friday after work, I went back to Borders again. Yeah, vulture-picking at the bones of the carcass again.  But I really just went back on the off chance they had the last Harry Potter book.  And lo and behold, they DID!  And in paperback, which is what I wanted.  I got the last one on the shelf at that time.  And I found a few graphic novels I picked up as well.  Only spent $40 couple bucks this time.  But I found out my Borders Plus card, which gives me an additional 10% off is only gonna be honored until Sunday the 7th, today.

So when I got home I called mom to see if she wanted to go look for a few books while I could still use my card.  She said sure why not.  And we both needed to do a little bit of other shopping as well.

So today, I picked her up and off we went.  Firstly for me to get some clothes at The Fat Man Store, and then to Target so Mom could look for something.  And then we ate some Mexican.  And then went to Borders. 

And the trip was a smidge surreal.  It was packed.  I saw a guy I work with and talked briefly with him.  A saw a lady I used to work at Borders with.  I didn't say hi to her, cause even though she was a sweet hearted lady, she was never knew when to shut up and was somewhat irritating, so I just avoided her.

Also, I ran into my friend Chris's Dad (I don't recall his name, so I'll just call him CD).  Every Friday night I worked at Borders, and every Friday night CD and his wife would come in.  He'd always find me, extend his hand and say, "Hey, don't I know you?"  Every Friday night.  At first it was funny, then a bit irritating, but then I realized he wasn't doing it to be irritating, and I went back to finding it funny.  So anyway, when he saw me today, he said the same thing.  And we laughed.  And talked.  He said he and his wife have always come to Borders every Friday, and still do so.  They don't know what they're gonna do when it closes.  He said they did manage to get two of the black comfy chairs that were around the store as momentos.  That too made me laugh.

Later, as I'm wondering around this rather cute Asian guy in his twenties came up to me (well, I was eyeing him up for awile just cause he was so cute), and he said, "Chris!  Is it you?"  And I had no idea who he was.  I'm thinking he might have been a former sex partner, but I would have remembered having an Asian from this area.  But I said, "Yeah," obviously not recognizing him.  And then he said, "It's me, John!  From Friday nights.  Remember?"  And then it hit me!  Again on Friday nights when I worked, John, then a spindley 13 year old, would come and stand next to me when I was working the Info Desk.  In between helping customers we'd talk Star Trek and even politics (his great uncle was a Senator from Hawaii!!!) And that went on forever!  I amazed me that he rememeberd me cause it's been like 8 years since I worked there.  And it amazed me frankly, at how hot he was.  I mean, even back then, he had a cute face.  But now, in addtition, he had a pretty rocking body too!  Not that I got a gay vibe from him at all.  Not even when he hugged me when he said goodbye.  But it was a damn nice hug too!

In the end, I found three more books, but Mom, who initially couldn't find anything, ended up getting 8 books!  Even with my discount card, it was still $115 dollars, which was the most I had spent there in the...oh man, it's been 5 trips there!  Course this time, most of this cost was mom's books, which she paid me back for. 

But now I've got enough books to keep me reading up to the next Presidential swearing-in!  And, honestly, I'm sure this wasn't my last trip there.  There are still some Doctor Who videos that I'm not willing to pay 25% off for, but I probably would pay 50% off for.  So we'll see.

POLT

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Wow. With all your trips to Borders, you might put them back in business : ).

tornwordo said...

This is one of those times I'm dying cuz I'm not in the states. I love the vulture thing! 90% is right around the corner.