Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Steal your face right off your head Now, he's gone...

My grandfather's brother Paul died Friday night.  He was near 90, and had spent the last 3-4 years in a home with advanced Alzheimers.  Mom visited him earlier this year and said he did little more than breathe.  He didn't acknowledge any one, in fact didn't even seem to know they were in the room.  So his death really, in the end, isn't really a bad thing.

He and I were never close.  At reunions, he was pleasant, but he was terribly shy and never said much.  His wife Bernice, was extremely outgoing and I remember many times laughing myself silly with her and mom.  Bernice did unexpectedly in her sleep 10 years ago.

Paul and Bernice were huge square dancers.  They went all over the countryside with their group of friends squaredancing.  And that's really the only thing I know about Paul and his hobbys and interests.

The family asked me to be a pallbearer, which of course I said yes to.  Honored to help actually, since he was just my great-uncle and all the other pallbearers are grandsons, sons-in-law, or nephews. 

So really, that's I have to say about it.  I'm sorry he's dead, but in the condition he was in, I'm glad he's gone and not in the condition anymore.

POLT

3 comments:

Tam said...

It's always hard for family when someone passes, but when it's like that it's really for the best. No one benefited from his condition. It's good he was able to go peacefully.

john said...

My condolences, but I completely understand your reaction. Shame he had to spend ten years without his wife and even worse that he had the illness he did.

Michelle M. said...

My sympathies to you and your family. I hope his long life was a happy one.