Monday, July 18, 2011

The name is Potter, hi there...

Back in 2001 when I was working at Borders, a friend asked me buy Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone for her to give to her kids for Christmas.  And I did.  And after a bit of time, I contacted her and she said, "Oh, I already got it for them myself, sorry!"  Well since I worked at Borders, I thought eh, whatever, I can return it even though its been over a month.

But then, I thought, nah, I'll just hang onto it.  I might want to read it and see what all the fuss is about.  And I put it aside and pretty much forgot about it.  Then, a few years ago, i found it again.  I thought of reading it then, but decided to just wait until the movies were over.  Once I'd seen all the movies, I figured that's when I'd read the books.

This past Saturday, A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking and I saw The Deathly Hallows Part 2.  On the whole, the movie was just meh.  I mean it wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't anything I was gonna rave about.  I was entertained and that's all that really matters I guess.   But now that I've seen all the movies, I could read the books. 

I started the first book yesterday.  As of now, I'm over halfway through it.  I;ve read all five of the Percy Jackson books, and Harry Potter reminds me a lot of that series (or perhaps it should be the other way around, since Harry Potter came first).  Not in plot, but in tone, style, timing, etc.  And again, I'm being entertained by it, so that's all that matters, I suppose.

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

I haven't read Percy Jackson but we read all of the Harry Potter books as they came out. They get darker and more "mature" as they go along. The first couple are kind of light kids' fare and then things start going downhill for poor Harry. :-) Like it could get any worse than living in a cupboard under the stairs.

john said...

Tam's right. The books start to change around the third book. My favorites are Goblet, Half Blood and Deathly Hallows. Everyone seems to love Azkaban, but I thought it was ok.