Thursday, July 07, 2011

Strange days, strange days indeed....

Yesterday after work, I planned on getting a cut-n-color and then hitting Montezumas for a meal and then spending the rest of hte night putzing around on the computer.  Didn't turn out that way.

Oh, after work, yeah, I went for the cut-n-color.  And, as usual, she prattled on and on and on about things I couldn't care less about.  And I had to hear the same story whenever someone came in the place, or when someone called.  Luckily, I took a book that I could get drawn into, and I read it while the color took hold.  But while doing so, I also fell asleep.  Wasn't out for long, didn't drop the book, and didn't snore (thank God).  It all went relatively well.  See here:


Just as I was ready to walk out the door, I got a text from Corey saying, simply, "Hey."  When I got to the car, I called him.  I told him I was still in Hagerstown and did he want me to stop by for a while. (after all, it's been like two months since we last saw each other) He said, "Well....I'm not...looking my best right now."  I told him I didn't care how he looked, and I didn't think he could ever really look bad.  So he said, okay, sure.  So over I went.

He let me in, and I could see what he meant.  All he wore was a pair of shorts that were really cut off sweatpants.  So this meant, his hairy, muscular chest and stomach, and his long, hairy muscluar legs (he's been riding his bike everywhere) were on full view.  And what a view it was.  My GOD, that man is sexy.  But I tried not stare at anything I wasn't supposed to and kept my eyes looking at his face.  At least as long as he was looking at me.  When he glanced away, I caught quick peeks of his chest and legs and arms and whatever.  Also, I playing with his dog Bo.  And we actully did have a fun and interesting conversation, as we usually do.  I was there for a little under an hour. 

Then I made my way back home and directly to Montezumas.  After I was seated, this cute little waiter that I had never before seen came over, instroduced himself as Chad and said he'd be serving me tonight.  I giggled inwardly as I always do when some hot waiter says that to me.  It was obvious Chad hadn't been a waiter for very loing.  Not that he was bad, but he just wasn't as efficient as most experienced waiters are.  Plus, I'm pretty sure he was only handling one table other than mine, and over there, there normally handle more than two tables.

Chad got my order correct, brought me more chips and salsa, refilled my soda, and asked twice if everything was going well.  He did quite a good job.  I had my book with me the whole time, and was reading it while I ate, as I often do there.  When he came to pick up my plate, he asked again how everything was, and then asked what I reading.  (It was "Wide Awake") and I showed him the cover (a photo of it is over there in the sidebar somewhere). 

He asked what it was about.  It's about the near future election of the first gay, Jewish president and how his opponent tries to steal the election.  But all that's a backdrop to the main story, which is about two sixteen year old gay boys in love and thier group of friends.  And how really, could I adequately describe this?  SO I just held the back of the book up for him to read the blurb.  And he did.

I wasn't sure what to expect from him, I mean, novels about gay youths and presidents don't appear to be all that common in my area.  But he finished reading the back he said, "Hmm.  Is it any good?" And he had this look of real interest on his face, not a like he was just being polite.  I told him it was okay, but it's a short book, so now that I started it, I'm gonna finish it.

He told me he was reading some of his professors You-Have-To-Read-It-Before-You-Die list.  He had just finished Crime & Punishment, and was going to read Old Man And The Sea and Lolita this summer.  I nodded and told him they were good choices, even though I'd not read a single one.  Heard of all of them, sure, but read them, nope.

Then he said, "Do you like to read?"  I told him I did and that this book was possibly the thirtieth book I've read this year.  He seemed impressed.  I told him I try to read a book a week.  He asked if I was an English or Lit professor.  This made me chuckle, cause I never thought of myself as the professor type, but whatever.  I told him no I wasn't. 

Then he said, "That's too bad.  I bet you'd be good at it.  I LOVE Literature.  I love my lit Professor too."  And then he stopped suddenly and had this look like he'd said too much.  He quickly added, "Can i get you anything else?"  And I said just the check.  He nodded, looking a bit embarrassed and hurried away.

I was bit confused by all this.  Part of me is thinking, "Did he just kinda come on to me?"  But then I thought, no, he was just being friendly.  Why would he come on to a random customer?  But then I remembered, he DID see the book I was reading.  And he DID do most of the talking.  But then i thought, no, he wouldn't hit on a customer, bad for business.  But then i remembered he was apparently new. 

Ah well, I thought, when he comes back, I'll just be polite, and show him nothing's wrong.  Try to make him comfortable and not embarrassed.  But, some other waiter brought the check back and took it back with my card.  And yet another waiter brought the check back for me to sign everything.  Which is strange, cause usually, the same waiter handles all that.  Maybe poor Chad was too embarrassed.  Or maybe he had to just use the bathroom, who knows? 

But I assure you, I shall keep my eye out for little Chad whenever I go in there, that's for sure!

POLT

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

Hair looks good! I always feel awkward talking with my stylist once we get beyond the "how are you's?". But I feel more awkward when I just sit there saying nothing.

I could see you as a professor type.