Friday, November 04, 2011

Like pulling teeth I got my secret from you...

My teeth are shit.  No, not THE shit, which would be a good thing.  No, just shit.

*

This is what happens, kids, when you don't take care of your teeth like you should.  When I was young, I hated brushing my teeth.  Oh, first thing in the morning to get rid of the gunky mouth, yeah sure, that I welcomed.  But I never brushed regularly after meals.  And didn't always brush before going to bed.  I still dont really brush after meals, but I do the other times now.  Not that it really matters now.

About ten years ago, in close sucession, I had to have two teeth pulled for two different reasons.  Last year I had to have a tooth pulled.  I've got a crown on one tooth.  I've got fillings in every other molar I still possess.  And in one other tooth, I've got very little left but the root and a smidge hanging down.  I've wanted to get it pulled and something to replace it since last year, but...well I lost the nerve.  I mean, I KNOW my dentist is great and it'll go swimmingly, but still...just the thought of actually getting it pulled.  *SHUDDER*  grosses me out.

Luckily (and I'll knock seriously and vigorously on wood here) my front teeth, the ones between by canines on both top and bottom are not affected with issues and are still there, looking good when I talk or smile.

Well today, a portion of the tooth hanging down broke off.  Much to my amazement, there's been no pain, unless I rub the exposed area with my tongue.  I can even eat on that side with no issues.  But I decided that was it, I called the dentist and scheduled Nov. 14th to go and have the tooth ripped out.  Or to have the filling on the other side of my mouth fixed, it's been giving me problems for the last week.  No pain, just can't eat certain things there.  Or maybe I'll have both done at the same time.  But, I don't know when I'd be able to eat with both sides having work done. 

Well, that might be a way to lose some more weight.

I'm still nervious about it, and undoubtedly will be even moreso as the 14th approaches.  But it HAS to be done.  And I dont want to wait for any more of the tooth to fall off and make it, potentially, that much harder to get out.

So, brush your teeth kids!  Regularly.  Floss!  Regularly.  Don't be a nasty tooth, like Uncle Polt!

POLT

*This is NOT an accurate representation of my mouth. It is for illustrative purposes only. 

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

Oh my god! Ack!!

This post reminds me of a quote from a crappy Meg Ryan movie. And old man gives the stars some advice, "Floss."

Yes, get it all done at once. Get it over with and stop prolonging it. Eat soup and drink smoothies.

Good luck and don't forget to ask for the good drugs.