Friday, September 18, 2015

Someone book me a room (Part 261)...

Chapter 9, Page 17...

Thursday, I got up and to work with little issue.  There was stuff I had intended to do Wednesday that was still waiting on my desk a day later, so off I went and got it all completed.

After work, I had two messages on my phone from Comcast.   The first one saying that there was a area wide problem the day before (which I already figured out) and it's been corrected.  They wanted to know if I still wanted to keep the appointment on Monday, which was to change my modem for a newer model.

The second message was from Comcast "Advanced Technical Support" wanted to know if my problem was fixed or not and to call them back.  Okay, two messages, that's a good thing right?  Shows they're concerned.  Or something.

So I call "Advanced Technical Support" back, and get some guy speaking with a somewhat heavy Indian accent (surprise surprise) but I can understand him.  I tell him everything's working fine (which it was), but I had some questions about the price of some things involving the modem.  He told me he was just "Advanced Technical Support" and didn't know about prices, but did I want to cancel my appointment Monday?  Again, I told him I had questions about the cost of things, and once I found those out, I could tell him.  He said they'd call me back at 6, because by then, i should have gotten a call from Comcast in my area and they could answer my cost questions.  Okay, cool.  We hang up.

Not ten minutes later, the phone rings and it's some girl from Comcast with an even HEAVIER Indian accent, stating she's from "Advanced Techincal Support".  She wants to know if I want to keep or cancel my appointment. I tell her I don't know, because I have questions about the cost of some things (will the visit cost me money?  The girl yesterday said it would be free, and i just wanted to confirm that.  And how much will the newer modem cost).

She told me she was with "Advanced Technical Support" and did I have any problems with my service now?  I told her that no, everything was fine now.  She asked if I wanted to cancel my appointment Monday.  I told her I didn't know I had questions about the cost of some things.  To which she responded that she was "Advanced Technical Support", knew nothing about costs, and was just wanting to make sure my service was satisfactory.

I told her is was, and then she immediately wanted to know if I wanted to cancel my appointment then.  I told her AGAIN, that I needed the two questions about costs answered before I would know if I wanted the tech to come Monday and replace my outdated modem with a new one.  She asked if she was correct that I said my service was working fine. I told her it was, both Netflix streaming and the Internet itself.  So she then asks if I wanted to keep the appointment Monday.

*SIGH*  I told her I couldn't answer that question until i had some questions answered about costs.  She told me she was "Advanced Technical Support" and didn't know costs for my area.  And before she could say anything else, I interrupted, "How about I find out from the local company what the answers are to my cost questions, and then I can tell you after that if I want to keep the appointment."  She said she'd call back 6pm  (45 minutes) to find out if I wanted to keep the appointment.  I told her that would be wonderful.

After hanging up, catching my breath and not throwing the damn modem out in the street along with all the cables attached to it and my most recent cable bill, I called Comcast.  Of course I got the recorded message wanting to go through all these different 'options', 'options' which I had no intention of dealing with.  So everything time I was suppose to say or press something, I just said, "I need to talk to a live person".  And after saying that about five times, I finally got connected to some woman with an American accent, although a Deep South one.  Her, however, i could understand easily.

I explained the issue, and she said, in a very and friendly tone, that she wasn't able to answer those questions, but if I held on just a minute, she would see that I got connected to the right person, and she took down my ZIP code just to make sure we got the right area.  After being on hold about three minutes, she came back with Melissa on the phone too.  Melissa then told me the visit to replace the modem would indeed be free.  However,unlike my current modem that is fee free each month, the new improved modem would cost $10 a month rental fee.  Well no thank you.  And since that was the case, I'd like to cancel the appointment, and Melissa said she'd take care of that for me as well.

And that was that.  And come 6pm, I never did get another call from "Advanced Technical Support", which actually didn't upset me in the least.

After all this, I settled in for some time on the computer and Doctor Who, and then went to bed and read and then to sleep.

POLT

No comments: