Thursday, April 14, 2016

Time to teach, point to point, point observation.....

Today, some observations from the Toronto trip.

- There are many, many, MANY more tall buildings there than when I was last there.  It used to be all the skyscrapers were down around the lake front of a few streets inland around the financial district.  But now, they're all over the city  Or so it seems.  From our room, looking north, there were 5 skyscrapers in clear view, all under construction.  And they're VERY tall.  We were on the 12 floor of the hotel, there buildings were at least double in height, and a few times, even higher than that.  It's crazy.  I mean it's good that the economy's booming enough for all this, but damn, it's like they're having a race to the sky.

- Male fashion in Toronto was mainly top knots and short tight pants with no socks.  The top knots were on hipsters, college students, businessmen, retail workers, pretty much everyone.  Or everyone of a younger age, say, 30 or so.  And while the whole idea sounds pretty stupid, I gotta tell ya, in practice, on these guys, it was actually kinda hot.  The short jeans/no socks thing I'd seen before, when I was in college, in the late 80s or so.  That was nothing new.  What WAS new was how they were wearing them in Toronto, when the temps were below freezing!  How they didn't have icicles on their ankles, I don't know.  Anyway, here's some pics of what I'm talking about.






And 




There were like 11 or 12 guys with topknots we saw over the extended weekend, and countless numbers of no socks guys.  Some guys with both.

- The weather was cold, damp, rainy, snowy and windy.  One other time I was there, it rained pretty much the entire time.  But other than that, the weather has always been great.  This time...eh, not so much.  And that kinda put a damper on the entire weekend.

- Unlike every other time (and in fact, rarely here at home), I never tore the sheets out of the bottom of my bed.  Every morning, it looked like a normal person slept there and not something that made a nest in the middle of the bed.  Also, I actually used the closet!  I had my coats hung up there, I had the suitcase on the little folding stand they provide in there, and I put my worn clothes on the floor in there instead of just alongside the bed.  Being this neat and organized is not like me at all.  But on the other hand, it did not prevent me from losing the room key at least twice and searching in a panic looking for it.

- Toronto used to be a crime-free haven, as far as I knew.  However, this weekend we heard the following: a burned body was discovered in a fire pit in a park; there was a shooting where a teenager died; there was a stabbing and the victim was in hospital in serious condition; and, most disturbing of all, right there on Yonge street was a white trash couple screaming at each other, and then she ran at him and started slapping him about the head and shoulders.  It's very unfortunate.

- I dont usually buy clothes in regular stores.  But when we were up there, we were going to see Judas Kiss, which is a serious drama.  All I had to wear was jeans.  So while we were out and about on Saturday afternoon, we went to The Bay (founded 1670), and I found a pair of khakis that I liked and that fit, so I bought them.  First pair of pants I ever bought while on vacation, while at The Bay, and while in a foreign country.

- I WAY overpacked.  I came home with 5 shirts I didn't wear, 5 pairs of underwear I didn't use, 3 pairs of colored socks and 2 pairs of white socks.  Still, I only managed to take one suitcase, one backpack and one duffel bag for the computer.  But I overpacked nonetheless.

- I also took too much money.  I took $500 American.  When we got there, I converted $300 American into about $367 Canadian.  And I ended up coming home with $110 Canadian.  I didn't bother to convert it, cause I'd lose money in the conversion.  And I thought the next time I'd go up, I'd have that much money already converted and wouldn't have to worry about it.  Still, that seems like it's a crazy amount to bring home.  And it's somewhat surprising that I didn't spend more, cause I don't recall using the credit/debit cards that much.

- Hookup apps are crazy busy in downtown Toronto!  I got up there and logged on to a few of the apps I have, and after that, it was crazy!  I got messages day and night.  Not 24 hours a day, all day, but throughout the day.  It's crazy.  There were about three guys I chatted with trying to set up a hookup, but they all ended up falling through.  We were in room 1215, and one night I got a message from a guy that was 7 feet away!  Michelle said he could be in the next room, and I said he could be in OUR room!  Turns out he was in room 1217!  But I was in for the night, and in bed and comfy and he wasn't that attractive, so I turned him down.  But still....seven feet away!  And in some apps, I never had a contact on there further than a mile away.  Not once.  Here at home, there's like 4 within a mile, and most of the guys are 8, 10, 12 miles away or more.  Ah well, such is life in big cities.

- The beds were amazing!  In Bradford PA, we had instead o two regular pillows, four pillows half the size of the normal.  And in Toronto, the hotel gave us FOUR regular sized pillows and one half sized pillow!  Nice.  And in Toronto the bed was like sinking into a cloud.  It was SO soft and comfortable!  Never have slept in a bed this comfortable before!

More about the trip and photos as well forthcoming!

POLT

No comments: