Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Check this out, real quick, don't know if everybody know (Part 4841)....

 Check This Out!

Damn these last couple weeks have been a busy few for the Grim Reaper. 



Kristopherson doesn't really bother me too much.  I mean, I'm not happy he's dead, but I don't really have any feelings on it. 

James Earl Jones makes me sad, in that he IS Darth Vader to me.  I knew it wasn't him, but I always pictured him under that armor, since it's his voice.  And what a voice it was. 

Maggie Smith makes me even sadder.  Yes there's Downton Abbey and of COURSE Harry Potter.  But i remember her from her 70s work: Death On The Nile (so many great one-liners) and California Suite, where of course, she won an Oscar.  And all the videos of her with Judi Dench and them both just being friendly vicious to one another...love it. 

But the worst is John Amos.  I remember his fondly from Good Times.  He's a dad everyone could want.  And then there was Roots. I was a pre-teen when that aired, but I remember it.  Oh it horrified me when they cut off half his foot!  I didn't even know he was a semi-regular on the Mary Tyler Moore show until I read obituaries about him.  But I most fondly remember him from the West Wing, as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Percy Fitzwallace.  The man was totally professional and yet took no shit from anyone.  And two times specifically always rung true and hit me hard. 

When he was asked about the Don't Ask Don't Tell thing. 

And earlier when he was asked what he thought about making Charlie, a young black man, the president's personal aide. 

Short, sweet, to the point.  Damn I miss Fitzwallace and the West Wing. 

And I'll miss John Amos too. 

POLT

No comments: