Just found out my "work mom" died yesterday.
She was 86 years old and not in the best of health, though she wasn't ill. She was maybe 5 feet tall and mighta weighed, the last time I saw 95 pounds. She was still living in her own apartment.
She was one of the first people there who befriended me, despite being 28 years older than me. She was also one of the few proud Democrats working in a VERY Republican work environment, so that's another reason we bonded.
She retired a few years ago, maybe three or four, after having medical emergency that put her in the hospital for several months. But as I said, she was home and thriving, as far as I knew.
We had occasional contact after she left: sending a card now and then, we got together less than a half dozen times for a meal and to catch up, messaging on Facebook, that sorta stuff.
As she was my dad's age, born just 6 weeks after him, and as she has a daughter that is my age, she was my "work mom" and I was her "work son".
She was a good woman. She worked until almost 80 years old, and never missed a day (until she had that medical emergency). God rest her soul.
They just don't make 'em like Lil Mary anymore.
POLT


No comments:
Post a Comment