Saturday, April 23, 2011

No more of this third degree.....

Let me take your back in time about 30 years ago.  A lady that worked with my mom was a single mom named Margie with two kids: Tommy, who might have been in kindergarten, Sarah who was a few years older.  So one evening, Margie had to go somewhere on short notice and called mom.  Mom couldn't sit with the kids, but said I could.  And so, a 14 year old Polt was dropped at Margie's house by his mother.

Margie introduced me to the kids, then she pretty much put them to bed, thanked me and left.  I sat there and read a book until she came back a few hours later.  I was afraid to turn on the TV cause the house was REALLY small and I didn't want to wake the kids.  When she got back, Margie gave me the money, called mom who came and picked me up, and all was right with the world.

I sat the kids after that, about three times I think, certainly no more than that, but it was well.  Tommy especially took a shine to me, like hero worship that kids to.  He was a good, funny,  no-problem kid.  In fact, they both were.

At any rate, advance to the present.  Our school board is in a deficit, and it's got a good number of wingnut "i'll close the schools before i raise taxes" kind of idiots on it.  And they're trying to find progams to cut, including languages.

Well the superintendant read a letter from Tommy Margieson (obviously NOT his real name) who's now working at the French Embassy in DC, saying the French program should not be cut.  And there was also a letter the from the French Ambassador himself saying the same thing.

Little Tommy!  Working in the French Embassy!  That means I'm only like one degree away from the French Ambassador, two degrees away from French President Sarcozy and, since they've met, three degrees away from President Obama!  Lil old me, sitting here in my duplex in South Central PA is that close to the President of the United States Of America.

Funny world, eh?

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

That's cool, you're practically his BFF. :-) School cuts seem to be the way of it in the US these days. It's not great here but doesn't seem to be as bad.

Michelle M. said...

Well obviously he is so successful because you were his babysitter.