Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wanna fall in love with a soap opera queen...

Read today online that they're cancelling All My Children, and...some other soap opera, dont recall the name.  It brought back some memories.

I never got into daytime soap operas.  Except for one.  In the late 80s, I got hooked on "Santa Barbara".  I would plan my afternoons around the hour that it played.  I would schedule my college classes so I could be home to watch it.  I was totally addicted.


The evil of Mason Capwell.  The hotness of Cruz Castillo.  The sweetness of Kelly Capwell.  The dictatorialness (totally a word) of CC Capwell.  The scene-chewing of Minx Lockridge.  The wackiness of Gina Lockridge.  The earthquake.  The serial killer.  The big neon "C" on the roof of the Capwell hotel that killed ex-nun Mary.  Ah, yes, good times.

And all my friends in my neighborhood were into it as well.  Even the straight boys.  We'd watch it, alone one day, at Susan's house the next, at my house the next, at Jeff's the next.  And then when it ended we'd spend another hour dishing about it!  Oh the fun.

I dont honestly remember how I got out of it.  It was not long afterwards, though, that it got canceled.  But by then, I didn't miss it.  And my only turn at daytime soap operas was done.

POLT

No comments: