Saturday, May 26, 2012

Goin down on you, x-ray vision seein' right on thru...

I remember this ad!!!



It was in the back of a comic book, with a whole bunch of other cheesy, cheap little gizmos.  But this one caught my attention (this one and a thing that supposedly turned blank paper into money...just so long as you already slid the dollar bill into the 'secret' compartment before showing your friends).  I mean, who DOESN'T want, as a ten-eleven year old boy, to be able to see through the clothes of the people around you?

So I saved up my allowance over several weeks (hey, I was only getting $1.00 a week allowance back then, and I still had to buy the comic books that came out each week), and eventually sent away for the X-Ray specs and money changer.  And I checked the mail religiously every day after school to see if the package arrived.

Finally after was seemed like YEARS (but was probably only a few weeks) the package arrived.  I tried the specs on...and man was I disappointed.  It was just like a pair of plastic frames with something that looked like a feather in each frame.  And when you, as the instructions said, looked at your hand through the glasses, it distorted your fingers enough, overlapping them, so that it looked like your could see a bone under your skin.

Oh it was complete and total crap (much like the money changer).  And I was very upset.  What a waste of $1.99!  But it was at that point in time when I learned, if anything seemed too good to be true, it probably was.

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

However ordering sea monkeys from the back of a comic book does in fact work. Little cuties, although they didn't quite look like the pictures.

Michelle M. said...

Maybe technology has improved since then and you can try again. If anyone should have X-ray specs it should be you.

When I was a kid I was disappointed to hear that sea monkeys were just little shrimp and not the little seahorse looking people in the pictures.