Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm so glad you're gone, free in my house...

This post contains major Walking Dead spoilers, so if you haven't seen the latest episode yet, do NOT read this post.

So I've seen several statements on social media sites, that people are upset and saddened by Merle Dixon's fate on The Walking Dead.  They're certainly entitled to feel that way, but frankly, I don't get it.  In all honesty, I'm glad he's gone.


Merle, when introduced, was a bigoted asshole that caused nothing but problems for the group.  Why should I care about him?  He joined the Woodbury group, knew what the Governor was and nonetheless, still did everything he asked him to do.  Without hesitation.  No matter how heinous.  Why should I care about him? He beat up and threatened a helpless man, and in fact tried to kill Glenn while he was still bound by sending a zombie in the room with him.  Why should I care about him?  When with the group in the prison, he constantly tired to set members against the others?  Why should I care about him?  And he contributed nothing to group but strife and discord.  Why should I care about him?  He knew Rick wouldn't turn Michonne over to the others, that Rick wouldn't want to, and so he took it upon himself to do so, kidnapping a member of the group to take her to her death.  Why should I care about him?

So I just have to ask....Why should I care about what happens to Merle Dixon?  he only cares about what happens to Merle Dixon (and to a much lesser extent, his  brother).

Frankly, I thought his end was exactly as it should have been.  The only thing that saddens me about it is the fact he was gnawing on that cute new guy who I knew was going to die cause I never got him name (see photo below for whom I'm talking about). 


I do, however, have to wonder, exactly what Merle was thinking in kidnapping Michonne.  So he gives her to the Governor and...then what?  Merle HAS to know the Governor's not going to leave the prison alone regardless, so that can't be why he did it?  And Merle HAS to know the Governor and Woodbury aren't just going to welcome him back with open arms, even if he DOES have Michonne.  So, then WHY did he do it?

Ah well, I just chalk it up to more poor writing by the series' writers.

I'll shed no tear for Merle Dixon, a spineless, selfish, self-centered asshole.  I'm just glad he's gone.

POLT

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

I think he did it (taking Michonne to the Governer)to have an in with Rick and his group. He was doing their dirty work for them.

I thought Merle's death was a little sad, because he did seem to be turning over a new leaf (trying to fit in with Rick's group, letting Michonne go, attacking Woodbury). It's nice to think that maybe people can change. And I felt bad for Daryl having to find him like that.

I've always thought he was a piece of crap, but I thought the way the writer's offed him was effective. Just when I'm starting to maybe like him - Bam - dead!

stratcat45 said...

I cried like a baby - I LOVE Michael Rooker, never wanted to see him go. We were just getting little bits and pieces of Merle & Daryl's life. I don't think Merle every fit in anywhere at any point in his life and he did what he did in hopes of being accepted in someway - but it never worked. In the end, he let Michonne go and still went himself; he hoped to kill The Governor, unfortunately that cute guy you like (his name was Ben)got in the way. I really miss Merle....fortunately I have his action figure!!