Sunday, October 16, 2016

Your heart is like a maze....

Yesterday, I only worked until noon, mom and I had made plans.  We got my cousin's two boys, Tyreek 12, almost 13 years old, and Javion, 9, soon to be 10 years old, and we drove them to a local corn maze.

Mom and I had been talking about visiting one for years, but never did so. A few weeks ago, I mentioned taking the boys and going, and she was all for it.  We attempted to get their mother (my cousin) to go with us, but she had to work every time we planned it.  So eventually, we just decided to take the boys, with her permission.


So we got to the corn maze (not telling them where we were going as a surprise).  We paid our way in and made our way to the maze. There were other things going on there too, but we were ignoring those.  According to the place's website, it was a 2 mile maze, and there were 8 mailboxes hidden throughout that had questions on them, if we found them all and could answer the questions inside.

But as we went in, of COURSE Javion just took off running.  We did manage to keep him from going out of our sight, somehow.  We managed to wander around and find 6 of the 8 mailboxes, and the questions were very easy stuff (What profession do boys say they want to be when polled? Fireman or Pro Athlete).  But after doing this, we reached a 'halfway' point: a long corridor cut into the corn, one way going back to the entrance and one way out and the other going into the center of the maze where there was a bridge built up over the corn and where they had a pumpkin cannon!  

Upon reaching this are, mom and Tyreek, who were tired, decided they were done.  But Javion and I continue on to the rest of the maze.  We as a group had somehow found all 6 mailboxes in order.  But as Javion and I wandered into the other side of it, we just decided to see if we could find either of the remaining ones, or the actual exit.  We ended up finding #8 first, and then decided screw it, we were tired, just wanted out.  So we headed back to the middle corridor, since we knew whereabouts that was.  On the way though, somehow, we accidentally ran into #7, so we did find all 8.

Afterwards, we looked at some pumpkins there they had and then just left.  We went to Sweet Frog and got some ice cream there and then we dropped the boys off and came home.  

Of course I took a few pics:


Thought this was the start of the maze...turns out its just the big corridor cut through the middle of it.  The start was off to the left.

Javion, waiting impatient for his brother, and great-aunt to catch up.

Tyreek and mom behind him, working their way through.

The boys traipsing through the maze. 

This is when Javion and I were alone and going through the second part of the maze.

And my treat at Sweet From: Half strawberry half vanilla ice cream, topped with cherries, blackberries, strawberry balls, red gummy bears and sprinkles!

I had wanted to turn on my walking app to track our progress, but I forgot until we were already in the damn thing.  Then I DID turn it on, and it turns out I walked 1.25 miles in 38 minutes...with the app on.  In total, I'd guess I walked well over a mile and a half and probably close to an hour.  Here is a map of the walk (after I remembered to turn the app on);


We actually started at the red circle too and wandered through the part in the upper center section, before I remember to turn it on (when we were at the green triangle).   You can see how big this thing is by comparing it to the houses and barns near the red square.

POLT

No comments: