Saturday, June 25, 2011

Today, on the way home from work, I decided to have steak for supper.  When I have steak, I usually bake some fries in the oven and eat with it.  But this time when I got to the grocery store, Sean was on my mind (well not just at the grocery store, but still...) and I said to myself, "Self, let's NOT have fries tonight.  Let's get some of that corn in a steam bag and....asparagus!  And so I did.

I knew how to cook the steak, and the corn had directions on the bag (plus it's microwavable, easy-peasy), but I'd never cooked...hell, I'd never eaten aspargus until about three weeks ago!  And now I was gonna try to cook it.  What daring!  Me cooking a vegetable!  Who knew?  See what Sean's done to me?

Anyway, i knew he had the oven on 400, but I didn't really know how long.  So I used teh Interwebs and Googled "How do you cook aspargus in an oven?"  God bless the internet, without it, I'da had to have called mom to ask.  Although I'm not sure she ever did aspargus either.  Ah well, moving on...

It was only after I read about it that I realized I needed to cut part of the asparagus off.  So I took the rubber bands holding it off (rubber bands with informed me that the particular batch of asapargus that I was holding was a product of Canada!  Yay imported Canadian foodstuffs!), washed the stalks, cut the bottoms off, and laid them on the aluminum foil.  The Internet instructions mentioned sprinkling olive oil over them or something....pfft, like I even own any olive oil.  And I'm damn sure Sean didn't have any the last time.  So I just kinda slathered them in butter and threw them in the oven.

And when everything was ready and I dug in..it was pretty damn tasty...everything, even the aspargus!  I think I cooked it a bit too longer, cause it didn't seem as firm as Sean's stalks (that's what SHE said!), but it was still good.  I'm actually quite proud of myself, cause I've cooked a fresh vegetable like this in my life before.  And I didn't really have any idea how to do it either.  Ya know, if I hang around with Sean for a while, I may just become a CHEF!  Or perhaps at least able to cook something more than just pasta and microwavable meals...whichever.

Nonetheless, of COURSE, I took photos!

Had to have a beer while I cooked.  Tam, this is the final bottle of the beer you brought when you last visited!  Yum, this and the Canadiuan aspargus made me feel like I was in Toronto. Without the cool clubs or hot guys.  But still.

With the beer I had a slice of the genuine Wisconsin cheese mom brought from her bus trip there!

Asparagus 101....love teh Interwebs!

iTunes providing backgroup music.

And the final product!  Including the Nathan-recommended book I'm currently reading!  Looks tasty dont it?  Nom, Nom, Nom!

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

OMG. I'm so proud. *sniff* You're all grown up. :-)

I love asparagus in the oven like that. I usually use oil, but I'll have to try it with butter. I usually just try sticking a pointy knife in to see if it's done. Sometimes it's firmer than others. Looks yummy.

It makes you wonder how anyone did anything without the internet.

Michelle M. said...

That looks delicious! Next time you're at the store pick up some olive oil - it's good for you. Plus Sean will probably need it to cook with when he comes over. I use it all the time when I cook. It's also great to dip bread in (along with balsamic vinegar).