Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ring my bell-ell-ell, ring my bell...

(Virus still not going from computer, so blogging will still be light for the forseeable future.  Don't know when I'll get it fixed...*SIGH*)

Over the weekend, I finished the first Lord Of The Rings book, for the first time.  Yes, yes, I know, someone like me who's been playing Dungeons&Dragons, and other role playing games, off and on for 30 years, and I've JUST NOW read The Lord Of The Rings?  What can I say...I'm a loser.

I tried the book twice before and just couldn't get into it.  This time I stuck with it, but it took me three weeks to get through it.  And it was quite a slog.  God, it got boring at parts.  I mean they spent like a third of the book doing NOTHING but walking!  SHEESH!  And Tom Bombadil...what the FUCK was THAT all about?????  And the SONGS!  Oh there were soooooo many different songs.  Honestly, I didn't read a sing one of them, I just simply went on to when the singing was over and took up reading again.

All in all, I was disappointed.  A bit bored.  I was expecting....I don't know, something more, something I'm more like used to.  I prefer the Dragonlance trilogy so much so I've even read it more than once.  I just think too much time was wasted on inconsequential things.  I honestly preferred the movie to the book. 

I want to read the remaining books, but I've not idea if I'll actually ever do it.  I dont imagine they change much after the first.

Ah, well, it was nice to finally see where D&D, Dragonlance, and Peter Jackson's movies came from.  I can appreciate what the book's done, laying the foundation and all, for many things in place now.  And for that it was interesting.  Otherwise....pretty meh.

POLT

2 comments:

truthspew said...

Some books are in fact a slog to get through. Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" was one such. Recommended by a friend and I read the damned thing. Utter dreck!

However I have read through the Hitchhikers Trilogy, The Stand (There's a tome!). In fact I like books that start at 500 pages and move on from there.

But alas I remember reading LOTR in high school. That was the one and only thing I will NEVER re-read. I've re-read Huxley's "Brave New World" and a few others from my school days but the walking, walking, walking.

Funny bit in Clerks II comparing LOTR to Star Wars though, if you have't seen Clerks I and Clerks II, along with Chasing Amy, Dogma, and all the Jay and Silent Bob movies, I feel bad for you.

TwoPi said...

The second and third books have a bit more action, so they aren't quite so dreary to slog through.