Friday, September 07, 2012

Here we go again....

So, kids, yesterday, I'm sitting at home, got some things up on Google Chrome and I'm in my iTunes moving some music around when all of a sudden, I get.....

THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

And the laptop reboots.  It lets me enter in my password and continues the startup process, but before it gets to the desktop, it reboots.  Then I get the message Windows didn't shut down properly, etc, etc, etc.  And I let it restart normally.  Put my password in, and the same thing happens ago.  So I turn the machine off.

A little bit later I start it up again, and the whole process starts all over.  So I do manage to get it into Safe Mode, but that's about it.  And I don't really know what to do once I'm there.  So I just shut the whole damn thing down.

So, until I get this taken care of, posts to the Palace are gonna be few and far between.  I still have my iPhone, and I've got my computer at work, so I'm still connected, but this stuff sucks.  Especially since I just went through computer issues in April.  I don't know if this is a virus or a hardward issue, but the Blue Screen Of Death makes me think it's the latter (not that I really know, I'm just guessing).  I still have everything saved from back in April, but what I DON'T have are a few pictures, and my iTunes.  And I really don't want to spend another three weeks putting 7,000 and some songs back onto a computer via CDs.  *SIGH*

I want to see if I can save stuff from Safe Mode, and if I can, I think I'd be happy to just reinstall Windows and then load up the all the stuff I've saved, from April and now.  If I can.  But we'll see how long it takes me to get all that done.

I checked with StratCat and she said the Blue Screen Of Death may be beyond her abilities.  But she'd help me reinstall Windows and stuff again, bless her lil heart.  So we'll see.  I might just try to save stuff and then buy a new computer, although I've only had this one less than three years, and I don't have $500 just laying around to spend on a new one.  So who knows.

Anyway, if anyone's had any experience with the Blue Screen Of Death before and can offer any suggestions I'd appreicate it.  Otherwise, I'll be back once everything's back in running order.

POLT

3 comments:

Tam said...

Ugh. I got the blue screen of death a couple of days ago, but it started and has been fine ever since. I've started using drop box (I should move my music in there) so if the whole damn thing conks out, all my files are saved and I can download them on to a new computer. Good luck. Hope it's an easy repair with no lost files.

Anonymous said...

Ah - reading this post tells me there's an offending piece of software loading on your machine.

That CAN cause BSOD's but it's rare.

The fact that you can boot up in Safe Mode tells me the disk is probably fine.

Have you updated any software lately? If so tell me which and I'll tell you how to remove it.

Michelle M. said...

Oh - that's horrible. You need to date a computer nerd stat (worked for me).