Sunday, April 14, 2013

IF you were, and you are, you're a jellicle cat....

So last night, I went with my buddy Michelle and co-worker Ann to see "Cats" at a local high school.  And all I have to say about it is....


What in the HELL did I just spend three hours watching????

Let me first say, the production was amazing.  The set was gorgeous, the costumes and make-up were unbelievably incredible, the singing and dancing were, by and large, first rate.  For a local high school production, it was very professional.

My problem is with the play itself.  What in the hell IS it?  Let me see if I remember it correctly: there's singing and dancing and introduction of a specific cat.  Then more singing, and dancing, and introductions.  Oh and then there's some singing.  And dancing.  And let's not forget an introduction of some character.  And then some old lady cat dies and goes to cat heaven.  The end.

What the FUCK?

It would have been nice for there to have been a plot or something, ya know?

Seriously, whoever wrote this thing was obviously doing some pretty serious drugs at the time.  Shit happens for no reason.  Somehow the king cat is kidnapped only to "magically' just reappear later...no explanation as to WHY he was taken or HOW he returned.  The old actor cat with palsy sits and laments his situation, only to have some strange, cloaked figure (a vampire?  The Grim Reaper?  McCavity in disguise?) come onstage, move around him, and then leave....for no apparent reason whatsoever.  And somehow, they form a LOCOMOTIVE?????

This was without a doubt, THE stupidest play I have ever seen in my life.  I say this taking NOTHING away from the kids, the musicians, the directors, cheorographers, or anyone else involved in the production I saw. But I truly do not understand how "Cats" was on Broadway for so long.  I'm truly glad I only paid $10 and not $100 for some professional production of this batch of tripe. I don't think asking for...ya know, a PLOTLINE or two in a play!  Mom saw it in NYC and she said she loved it and would definitely see it again.  !!!

I should have KNOWN better than to go see a play called "Cats"...it's just like all felines: a Spawn of Satan!

I guess I'll just have to chalk this up as yet ANOTHER thing that most people enjoy that I just can't comprehend anyone liking.  Like fireworks, Valentine's Day, Middle Class people noting Republican, Katy Perry, and poutine.

The best part of the night?  Well after the play, the three of us went to The Waffle House (as has become our tradition) and that was fun (and tasty) as always.  But better still was, when I went to pick up Michelle, her stepson Jeremy was throwing a party there, and when I brought her home, she and I had a glass of wine and talked to a few of the cute young 20-somethings that were still there.

Michelle's dog: Topper



Jeremy's dog: Little Man



A few of the strings of empty beer cans tied together with duct tape



And me and a shirtless Jeremy.


He approached me as we were getting ready to into the car, like this, and when I suggested a picture, he readily agreed.  I mean, who wouldn't?

Yeah, that photo...THAT was the highlight of the night.

POLT

1 comment:

stratcat45 said...

I always wanted to see this play as I always enjoyed some of the music...I then sat down to watch it on PBS and am I ever glad I never paid to see it!! Have to agree with you on this one. I do believe it is based on a series of poems or something though.