Sunday, July 28, 2013

At the P.T.A., he's the principal of principles....

I just found out through Facebook that Mr. Barlup died today.


I don't expect any of you reading this to know him.  He was the principal of the local high school while I attended it.  I didn't have any contact with him while I was in school (I was a good student).  I chuckled a bit inside whenever I saw him, because he always reminded me of Henry Kissinger, of all people.  Anyway... 

In 1984, I went on a 30 day trip of Europe with the school.  There were about 20-25 of us students that went along, our chaperons were the Spanish teacher (whose name I can't remember at the moment), and Mr. Barlup and his wife.  I had a bout of horrible homesickness after roughly two weeks on the trip.  I spoke to the Barlups about it, and after talking with them, and a phone call home to mom, I felt better.  I was more comfortable talking to Mrs. Barlup than him, but he was there too helping.


Years after I graduated, he became mayor of my town for over 15 years.  During this time period, I was judge of elections in my voting precinct, and every election, he'd stop in to see how it was going and if we were busy and how we were doing.  He was a regular presence twice year, every year.

I hadn't seen him in years actually.  And I never felt particularly close to him.  But I always respected him, and still do.  Can't even call him anything other than MISTER Barlup.

Anyway, Rest In Peace, Mr. Barlup.  And my deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

POLT

No comments: