Saturday, July 20, 2013

Chicken in the skillet on an old brass stove....

One of my co-workers also works with a local ambulance company, and periodically, throughout the summer, they have chicken BBQs.  Today was one of those days.  So earlier in the week, I ordered the chicken dinner, which included a half a BBQed chicken, baked beans and applesauce.

Last week, they announced at work that they were changing the menu for the staff, and one of the things they weren't going to have anymore was potato soup and eggsalad, which they have once a month on Saturdays now.  Yesterday, one of the kitchen ladies told me that today was going be the potato soup/eggsalad day, and possibly the last time, since they might institute the new menu before it comes around again.

Oh, what was I going to do?  The cafeteria was having one of my favorite meals on the same day I ordered the delicious BBQed chicken!  So after much consternation, I just decided to eat the cafeteria food today and take the chicken dinner home to supper.  So at lunchtime, I ate the potato soup and eggsalad.  When I got back to my office, I kept smelling the chicken that was in a styrofoam container in there with me.  And it smelled SO good.  So I decided, well, maybe I'd just eat the leg then, leave the rest for supper.

But when I opened up the container and started eating....well, I couldn't stop.  It was just THAT delicious.  My GOD, it was good.  And I ate the whole damn thing.   Felt a little sick, actually, later in the afternoon, but finished it all.

So right before I left work, mom called. She asked me what I was having for supper, cause she had bought several dinners, they were half a BBQed chicken, baked potato, mac salad, baked beans, and bun.  From an entirely different place than where I had gotten lunch.

I told her about his, and we laughed.  I asked her how many dinner she had bought (it was a charity event thing), and she said six!  SIX!  So I told her yeah I'd take one, if she had that many.  After work, I stopped by her place and got it, brought it home, and it too smelled so delicious, I HAD to eat some of it, even though I wasn't very hungry.  And I didn't eat it all, I put most of it in the fridge for tomorrow.

But today, I've almost eaten a whole chicken.  And some chicken eggs.  Oh and a bunch of potatos.  I think I need some variety in my diet.

POLT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken in general is some seriously tasty stuff. Let's see, I've baked, fried, sauteed, boiled, broiled and done all sorts of stuff to chicken breasts, thighs, etc.

I do have to try the high roast chicken recipe they use on America's Test Kitchen. That one effectively flattens the chicken and roasts it that way.

Of course one of my favorites is baked, panko crusted chicken.

Michelle M. said...

As long as you eat a salad the next day, it all cancels out.