Friday, November 01, 2013

Here we are now, entertain us...

Today, coming home from work, Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on the radio, and I started singing along.


And if brought back quite a few memories: hearing it for the first time while laying in bed reading a book, trying to figure out the lyrics for hours with my friends, buying the CD in Frederick, etc.  I remembered discussing it with Johnnie, who was too young to remember the music as it came out, and telling him what a watershed moment that song was.  How all the music before it was Sap, Rap, Crap or Heavy Metal, and afterwards, the music ROCKED.

And then, it occurred to me: that song currently also is a watershed, of sorts, in my life.  It splits my life in half.  When the song came out in 1991, I was 23 years old and as of later this month, I'll be 46, meaning I lived half my life before the song and half of it (so far) after it.  

And it surprises me how long the earlier time seems and how very very short that latter time seems.  And MAN does that make me feel old.

But regardless....it is SUCH an awesome song.

POLT

No comments: