Friday, August 19, 2016

It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play...

Today, August 19, 2016, is the 20th Anniversary of my starting date at my current job.

Twenty freakin' years.  Wow.

In some ways, it seems so much longer, and in other ways, it doesn't seem possible it could be that long.  I guess that's what happens when you spend 20 years in one thing: a job, marriage, in prison, in pain, in school, etc.  Still seems crazy though.

I did get an email from my big boss thanking me all I do and saying he appreciated the work I did, and teamwork and striving together and doing good work, etc.  I know it was some cliches, but it was so pleasing to get it.  To know that he took the time to send it and that he in fact even knew my anniversary date.  It does bolster one's morale...especially when compared to the idiot that used to be the big boss.  No personnel management skills, had he.  Thankfully, the current big boss does.

SO, what was August 19, 1996 like?

Well, in NYC the high temp was 83 degrees, right around the average temp for that day.

Bill Clinton was well on his way to being re-elected to his second term in November, 1996.

The number one song that day was "Macarena" by Los del Rio

The number one song in the UK was "Wannabe", by The Spice Girls.

The number one movie was "She's The One" directed by Edward Burns.

The number one book was "The Green Mile, Part 5" by Stephen King

John Major was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Newt Gingrich was Speaker of the US House Of Representatives.

Strom Thurmond was President Pro Tempe of the US Senate.

This was the cover of Time Magazine:

This was the cover of Rolling Stone:
This was the cover of National Geographic:

It's entirely possible, I'll have another of these posts in 20 more years (if I still have the blog up by then), cause with 23 years left on the mortgage, I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to retire.

POLT

No comments: