Wednesday, September 14, 2011

For the first time, in history, it's about to start raining men...

So tonight we had a thunderstorm.  THE thunderstorm.  The thunderstorm from hell.  It was like a deluge.  It was right on top of us, and the road out front was a river, overflowing onto the sidewalk and covering the road at a distance of at least a few inches.  Sheer craziness.  The lady in the other side of the house said she's never seen it like this, and the people on the other side of her, who have lived there for 20 years or more, said they never saw it like this either.

Here's a video I took:



The water falling into the middle of the alley is from my spouting.  When we get a LOT of rain it sometimes backs up and overflows right across the porch from my back door.  But because of the high winds, that blew my flower pots on the front porch onto the porch itself, was blowing the overflow out into the middle of the alley.  The wind blew the rain under my front porch, through the screen door, and onto the window of the door itself.  Also, prior to all this, I had put out two bags of trash.  I now only have one left, I've no idea where the other one is...probably a few streets over.

But here's some photos of the street out front.


And afterward, when the worst was over, there was this lovely large rainbow!


But, I also during the storm,  got water in my basement.  It was poring in the window like someone had turned on a faucet.  I got four old towels and threw them on the windowsill and they were almost instantly soaked.  They did very little actually to stem the tide.  The back corner under the window has about an inch of water in it, but it's concrete flooring.  And even though the washer, dryer and sink are back there, all of those are sitting on wood blocks, so I dont have to worry about them getting damaged.  It spread farther than anytime the sewer backed up, but this is just rain water and not sewer water, so there is that.  And the further away from the corner you get, the less water there is, so near the water heater, it's just like a puddle.

If it didn't stop raining, or at least slow down, I was gonna start building an ark.

POLT

2 comments:

FDot said...

Quit making God angry.

Michelle M. said...

Wow - that's a lot of water. I'm glad that it didn't do any serious damage to your house.