Friday, September 09, 2011

I tried, really I did.  After finishing off the Harry Potter books, I started reading a book about the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan called Rawhide Down.  I like history books, and I have a love for nearly all things presidential, so I figured this would be right up my alley.  Also, I remember this incident very well, I was in 7th grade.

However, after only getting partway through the second chapter, I had to stop and give up.  After doing a bit of research, I found out the author was also a biographer of Reagan, and it was so obvious.  In the book Reagan was described as giving a "stirring speech", as having a "historic presidency", and being commented on by someone before he ran for president as "someone that I felt in my soul would make an amazing president". 

*Insert retching and vomiting sounds here*

Wouldn't surprise me if the author masturbated thinking about Reagan.

I was looking for a book of facts, and instead I got something that was full of opinions, and feelings, and statements that bordered on propganda.  It was nauseating.  It was another book worshiping at the altar of Saint Ronnie. 

Sorry, I heard enough of that insanity during the 80's.  I lived through Reagan.  I dont need to relive it, it was bad enough the first time.

So away goes that book, and I'll move onto the 4th book in the fantasy series Nathan got me hooked at the Puntabupoolparty: Shadows Return from the Nightrunner series.  At least this book doesn't try to pass off it's fantasy as reality.

Thankfully, I got the Reagan book for 60% off.  It wasn't too much money flushed down the drain.

POLT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was 16 years old when Reagan was elected President, 24 when the doddering old fool left office.

He was in my opinion the reason we're dealing with deficits out the wazoo, religious fundamentalism run amok, and even though he had a certain charisma, he was a lousy President.