Sunday, September 04, 2011

I've thumbed through the books on your shelves...

Today, mom and I got my uncle's pickup and drove to Borders.  See, the last time I was there, I noticed a set of shelves they were selling for $75.  I told her I'd like to have that set, not only because I can ALWAYS use bookshekves, but because these were Borders bookshelves, I could have a sentimental item for all the good memories I have of working there.  I told her she could get me that for my birthday and/or Christmas early, if she wanted.  She agreed, and today, off we went.

When we got there, the place was looking REALLY ragged.  As an aside, I still managed to find 5 items for a total of $45, after the 60-80% discount off.  But the set of shelves I was looking at had a Sold sticker on them.  As did all the shelves smiliar to them.  So mom and I set out walking around the store trying to see which shelves were perhaps still for sale. 

I noticed some library had already bought a large number of the shelves.  But we found a set for $100 dollars.  We called the 'furnishing manager' over, she brought her clipboard and roll of SOLD stickers.  It was only then we found out that particular type of shelf was $50 dollars for three for $100.  Man, if I had wallspace anywhere in my house, I'd got three of them.  But as I don't, we just got the one set.

While mom paid for it, I wandered the store, and that's when I found my 5 books.  But while doing so, I came upon an idea.  When I worked there, I had a 'section' that was mine to refill, straighten, and organize.  It encompassed Law, Socialogy, American-Indian Studies, Asian-American Studies, Politcial Science, Women's Studies, Men's Studies, Gay/Lesbain Studies, and Mythology. (Crazy that I still remember all that even though I've not worked there since 2003!).  I tried to find of the plastic name plates they attached to the shelves saying what the section was.  I wanted to get Poltical Science, but they didn't have any of those.  I next checked Gay/Lesbian studies, but couldn't find any of those either.  Then I happened upon a Law one.  And I slid it off the shelf and into my pocket.  Yep, I stole it.  I feel just a smidge guilty about the theft, but really, they weren't selling them, they were just gonna throw them away.  So I rescued it.  And now it's attached to my shelves as a further momento of my section.

And these are my new shelves:


I really don't have anywhere to put them cause I just have too much furniture and stuff already in my house, but this place will do for now.  And as you can see, these shelves apparently came from the Westerns section, near the Info desk, just one row of shelves over from my old section.  *SIGH*  Good times.

Every time I go in there I still feel like a vulture picking over the carcass of some dead animal.  But the store still being open a bit longer, and the discounts to grow perhaps larger still, I think I may make at least one more trip there.  Sentimental softie am I.

POLT

3 comments:

Amie said...

Did you notice if there was much in the Children's section?

Polt said...

I did not see a whole lot of kids stuff, but to be fair, I wasn't really looking for any of it either.

HUGS...

Michelle M. said...

The Borders by us was cleaned out long ago. We missed all the scavenging.
Good job on the bookshelves - I'm glad you found a memento of the good times you had there.