Friday, September 09, 2011

Hoggy warty Hogwarts, teach us something please....

Tuesday evening, about 1145pm, I finished the final Harry Potter book.  I started the first one on July 17th, so it took less than two months to get through all seven.


I did enjoy them.  When I wasn't reading them, like at work or whatever, I'd look forward to reading them. I know roughly what was going to happen as I've already seen all the movies, but little things in the books were different.  I dont know which was was my favorite, it seems everyone has a favorite book.  I think my least favorite was the last one, The Deathly Hallows.  Just like the 7th movie (the first half of the 7th book) it seemed to drag and drag and drag in the middle.  I mean how much time, how many chapters were spent with Harry and Hermoine and sometimes Ron just sitting in a tent being irritable to each other?  In calendar time, it was from like late August to mid-May!  No wonder they were irritable.  But frankly, all that bored me to tears.  I enjoyed it before that, I enjoyed it after that, but all that in there.....argh.  I was irritiable right along with them.  The 7th book wasn't the longest, but it certainly felt longer than the 4th or 5th books, which were longer.

I am glad I saw the movies first, though.  There were a lot of discrepencies between the character descriptions on the books and the movies, which is to be expected, because you really couldn't expect them to find actors exactly like the book.  But Ron, Slughorn, and especially Umbridge, were quite different.  Every time I read a description of them, I just ignored it and pictured the actors from the movie in my head.  And when I read the character's dialogue, I always heard it in my head with the actor's voice and accent.

I'm glad too that I had the opportunity to read them in such a short time, one right after the other.  I don't think I'd really have enjoyed waiting years in between books.  All in all, a very entertaining series, full of action, and fun and mystery and danger and reward, and good triumphing over evil.  And I may or may not have cheered out loud at more than one point during the books.

POLT

1 comment:

Amie said...

Now that you are finished reading the books, do you think I could borrow them? If not I can get them from the library.

I want to read them first then watch the movies.