Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why plan, nver turns out that way....

All day, I was looking forward to watching last week's Doctor Who (which I missed due to a longer than expected stay by a gentlemen caller) and then this week's Doctor Who right after it.  Alas, neither of these happened.  And this is why.

After work, I made what I figured was my final trip to Borders, as they're only open another 8 days.  I wandered around and managed to find 5 books, all but one hardback.  At the register, because of all the discounts, they only cost a total of $25.  Good deals.  As I wandered around, I looked at the bookshelves and noticed not all of them were sold yet.  I said to myself what I've occasionally thought all week: Man, I wish I had room somewhere to put more shelves cause if I did, I'd buy some more.  But alas, I've got so much shit in my house, there's no room.

I came home, putzed around online, then sat down to read some more of my current book.  But I hadn't even finished a page when my mind started wandering.  If I could clear the dresser thing I have in the dining room out, and move it to the basement, I may be able to have room there for bookshelves.

So, at roughly 5:00, I put my book down and started checking things out.  Just standing in the dining room, thinking about moving this thing there and that thing over there and maybe I could throw some of this stuff out and so forth.  And then the adrenline rush hit me, I grabbed a plastic tote I had just sitting around and a garbage bag and started to work like a man on a mission.  I called mom to see if she was doing anything, and since she wasn't did she want to come down and help?  And since she did, did she think she could get my uncle's truck again and we could maybe got Borders and let me get another set of shelves?

So I kept cleaning and she came down, bringing with her some taco stuff she had made.  I kept working on stuff while she prepared the tacos for us.  Once she got there, I realized there really wasn't too much she could do because I had to decide what I kept, what I threw away, what I moved, and where I moved it.  But before long, I got things to the point where could move that to the basement and move some other furniture around to make room.  Then, about 7:30, we left in my uncle's truck for Borders. Oh, and of course we ate the tacos!  Nom!

It was only on the way there that I realized I would in fact miss last week's Doctor Who again.

Getting to Borders, I didn't have any trouble finding shelves not yet purchased.  They were, as last week, $50 for one or three for $100.  I found a set that were back to back attached, and since I was gonna get them, I might as well just get a third set for free right?  And that what I did.  And we got them loaded into the truck and home and situated in the dining room.  And when all that was done, it was already 9:25, so I was obviously going to be missing THIS week's Doctor Who as well.  Ah, well, that's why God invented reruns.

These are not the final placements, though.  Soon, we're going to take apart a large desk thing I have in the library and move the back to back shelves up there.  And we'll then rearrange things in the dining room them.  But for now, this is the what I've got now.

The regular set of shelves:

The back-to-back set of shelves:

When I asked, the guy gave me this sign for free!

And the back part of sigh just happened to have this on it:

Which is frankly hilarious to me, considering it's me!

So now, I feel much better that I have a little more of Borders to keep and use.  A total of four sets of shelves for a total for $150, and probably over $300 when all is said and done in books during the sale.  I'll miss the store and the good old days I spent there, but I've got plenty of momentos.

POLT

2 comments:

Amie said...

You really need a DVR. You would not miss anything and don't have to watch commercials.

Michelle M. said...

The superhero sign couldn't be more perfect.

You'll be able to run a library our of your house soon!