Monday, September 19, 2011

Meant to say. Wait... just one more day...

How was my day?  Thanks for asking!

Mom was supposed to come down at 9:00 and help with a lot of stuff.  But she woke me up a bit before 8:00.  She said it might rain and so she wanted to start a little earlier.  So roughly 8:30, I made it outside right as mom got there. 

And then we proceeded to cut down the hedge.  Part of it had grown up to like 5 or 6 feet and it made it somewhat difficult to see around it at the alley intersection.  Mom and I had been talking for months about getting it down.  And that's what we did.  Tore it down, bundled it up with twine and set it aside to put out for the trashmen.

Then we went out front and ripped out all the flowers I had planted there.  Was kinda sad to see them go after how incredibly they bloomed this year, but they were feeble looking and dying anyway in the cold.  Then we moved a chair from my bedroom down and out to the front porch.  The chair may be taken by some of the neighbor kids after I offered it to them, but if it's too hideous for even them to streetshop it, then I'll just put  it out to the trash this week and see if someone else grabs it.

The chair was a bit too awkward for me to get through doorways and downt he stairs alone.  But by the time we got it onto the first floor, both she and I were laughing.  We ended up kinda flipping the chair end of end slowly down the stairs.  And out the back door as well.  It was crazy funny.

Then we tried to take the back-to-back bookshelves I got at Borders apart, and found we couldnt.  The screws keeping it together were all too tight, and they were stripped as well.  One night soon we're gonna try just sawing the screws out (yeah, dont ask) and if that doesn't work, all that's left is just tearing them apart.  But my fear doing that would be that the back might splinter all the way down and make them not usable.  But we'll see.

And the rest of the day...putzed around online, read my book, ate, napped...basically nothing.  And now I'm settling in to watch Monday Night Football.  And popping Advil to deal with the ache in my shoulders, neck and lower back.  Too much scissor-clipping of the hedge, I suppose.

POLT

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Your mom is the best!
Have you looked up how to remove stripped screws on the internet? There might be a way to do so without having to saw them out.

Anonymous said...

For the stripped screws, you want a "screw extractor set" (such as http://www.blackanddecker.com/accessories/16270.aspx ). I got a set at Home Depot for not terribly much ($15?).

Using a drill, you drill a small hole into the head of the screw, then put an appropriately sized screw extractor bit into the hole. As the extractor screws itself into the hole you cut into the broken screw, the screw undergoes an opposite rotational force, and slowly unscrews itself.

These work wonders. Seriously. A must have for any homeowner.

-TwoPi-