Sunday, September 20, 2026

I would not sell my collection, for if I did, I would cry (Part 130)...

 Today In The History Of Polt's Comic Book Collection

Today we travel back 40 years (dear GOD, how can it be FORTY years ago???) and DC's The Watchmen #1. 


This was a HELLUVA year to be a collector of DC comic books!  Return Of The Dark Knight (Feb to June) and Crisis On Infinite Earths (Apr 85 - Mar of 86) were both out that year, and then in fall, this series started with the above issue. 

It was like NOTHING I had ever seen before.  The art was by Dave Gibbons, and kinda cartoonish, but that didn't diminish the impact it had.  And the story...laid out slowly over 12 glorious issues Alan Moore and Gibbons brought us to a world of superheroes, but ones we had never seen before.  And a world we had never seen before.  Every other issue advanced the plot with intervening issues basically being a biography of one of the main characters...and it still advanced the storyline too. 

The Watchmen is nearly universally acclaimed as the BEST, the GREATEST comic book/superhero story of all time. 

And it all started with this issue, 40 years ago. 

POLT

No comments: