Friday, December 31, 2010

Year End List

Since it's the end of the year, it's time for my annual list of the 10 most important events in my life this past year.

10. Snowpocalypse 2010
In the span of a few days, in February, where I lived recieved two blizzards dropping approximately 19 inches each time. Yeah, we had damn near 40 inches of snow in less than a week. I love snow. It's beautiful, it fun to play in, and even a storm of 20 inches isnt bad. But TWO storms??? Within FOUR days of one another??? No thank you! They actually closed county government where I work for two consecutive days! And that was really enough snow to last me for TWO winters!

9. Computer's suicide

A few days after this, my laptop killed itself. Actually, I think it had help from some nasty virus, but it was gone, i couldn't get it out of Safe Mode. And without a computer, I felt like I had lost an appendage! o I bought a new computer at Best Buy, a Toshiba, which I ended up not liking much at all. So I ordered a Dell, and returned the Toshiba. I got all the money refunded except for $50 for some fee, which was fine really. Corey spent several hours working on my dead one and no luck cleaning the virus off. So he wiped it clean and reinstalled all the basic stuff. So that's sitting here as my backup when (not if, but WHEN) this computer catches a virus and dies (it's happened to nearly every computer I've ever owned).

8. Bifocals
I've worn glasses since about the age of 10. This year when I went to my yearly exam, the doctor told me it was time, time for the dreaded bifocals. *SIGH* So I got them. And I got them with the invisible line thingee so no one can tell I'm wearing bifocals. It sucks getting old.

7. Ennui
You'll notice several things on this list, none of them really good, occured in February. On top of all that stuff, I was hit with a horrible bout of apathy all that month. I really didn't give a SHIT about anything. It wasnt' depression, cause when I'm depressed, I'm generally sad about something. But that month, I didn't care about being sad or anything. It was a horrible month long funk! I've never felt anything like that before! I'm just glad I got over it in a month.

6. Car Issues

In February, between the two blizzards, Miss Cleo, my car of 6 years, threw a rod in her engine and died. It would cost more to fix it than I was willing to put into her. So once I dug out of the snow, I bought a new (to me) car: Sebastian. Miss Cleo was a great car, and I hope Sebastian treats me as well. I didn't really need the added debt, but I DID need a car, so whatcha gonna do?

5. Tooth Issue

Also in February (SEE what I mean?), a part of one of my teeth broke off. I didn't get it taken of right away cause I hated my old dentist. But then more and more of it broke off. And eventually, over the summer, I made an appointment with the dentist literally across the street from my house. And I LOVE him! He's SO much better than the old. I raved about him so much, mom actually moved from the old dentist to the new one. But that wasn't the end of the story. The tooth had to come out. And I went through some of the worst stress of my life over that! I mean, seriously, I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and was filled with nearly continuous stress and worry. And then, in the end of October, I finally made it in and he pulled it...in less than a minute I'd wager, and with absolutly no pain or problems! I was amazed! But for the 9 months that I had issues with the tooth, there was a high amount of stress involved!

4. MRSA

Whether it was actually cause by a spider bite first, I don't know, but I had a pretty bad MRSA infection in my left forearm over the summer! When the nurse squeezed it to get the gunk out, that was perhaps THE worst pain I have ever felt in my life. My arm swelled up to twice it's normal size, I got celulitis in my elbow, I couldn't straighten my arm out I had to keep it bent, and I got on open oozing sore larger than my thumbnail . Thanks to two shots of strong anti-biotic in my ass and a fews weeks worth of anti-biotic pills, I recovered, although I do still have purplish scar a bit smaller than a dime on my arm where the sore was. It was pretty horrific, and even scary at some points. And I hope I NEVER get anything like it again.

3. Kris

He would have been higher on the list, but we only were together for two months. But what two months they were. He's fun. He's funny. He's sexy. He's great in bed. He's just a great guy. And we had a great time together. I have a wide circle of friends for friendship, and several fuckbuddies for sex, but I don't have someone there for the little things. How great it was to cuddle with someone after sex. How great it was to have someone beside you that you could just kiss anytime. How great it was to roll over in bed and feel someone next to you in the middle of the night. How great it was simply to have someone to hold hands with. And how greater is was that he was such an incrdible guy to do all this stuff with. Plus with it being so short, it was sad, but that meant it ended on a high note, before it got old or we got sick of each other. As they say, the brightest flames also burn out the quickest. And together, man did we generate some heat!

2. Puntabupoolparty

How awesome was this weekend event? I got to travel to NYC on the train for only the second time. I got to hang out in Long Island for a weekend. I got to meet Craigger's parents and sister. I got to re-meet Tam, VUBOQ, Craig, FDot, Joshrico, David, Chris D., and Jere. And I got to meet for the first time all the other Puntabupeeps: Adam, Mikey, Paul, Justin, Nathan, and of COURSE the too-awesome-for-words, Michelle M., and he equally amazing husband Harry! What fun we had Friday night eating that HUGE plate of pasta and then hanging in Michelle M.'s hotel room. What an incredibly time the next day at the pool party itself! What fun, and scenery, at the the beach the next day. And then that night, a smaller get together back at the pool that more intimate and just as fun! All in all, just an outstanding weekend, with great times and greater people!

1. Retirement of Bossy Know-It-All Coworker

I've had to suffer through her for over 14 years. It was always bad, but got worse as all her friends in high places left and she could no longer run to them to get her way.. She was sneaky, conniving, back-stabbing, stubborn, self-centered, tantrum-throwing, self-important and self-righteous. Everything HAD to be her way, there WAS no other way. Compromise was not a word in her vocabulary. And finally, FINALLY, she retired, just two weeks ago or so. it's been rather hectic, busy and a bit crazy in our department with two of us having to do the work of three. But it's been a lot more relaxed, fun, and enjoyable. There's an air of relief and cooperation, instead of one of stress and confrontation. This is one is the #1 thing of the year not because of the effect it will have on this year, but based on the effect it will have on the rest of my career, my life, and my future. And it is without a doubt THE best thing to happen all year!

I hope your 2010 had more ups than downs, and I hope 2011 is even better!

POLT

4 comments:

Ray Avito said...

That really was some huge plate of pasta from the photo I saw. I'd like to live in it.

Aww, Kris is cute. Sounds like a perfect, intense mini-relationship that I hope led to a new friendship.

And a chorus of "Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead!!" Everybody!! *laughing*

Mark said...

Ennui! Describes me perfectly.

Michelle M. said...

Your infection sounds exactly like my spider bite (brown recluse) in 1987. Ugh.

Meeting you (and the other Puntabbers was definitely a high point of my year). You are just as cute/funny/warm/sweet as you are online and it was great to get some in-person HUGS...

Hope you have a wonderful, stress/ennui/virus/co-workerfromhell/snowpocalypse/dentalissue free new year!

Tam said...

Great list and I'm glad we were up near the top. May 2011 NOT include the bad stuff but only the good.