Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Gotta lay low til' you get to the keypad...

Who are the geniuses who decided to put the keypad on a telephone unpside down from a keypad on an adding machine or calculator?




When I was a shift supervisor at CVS drugstore, one of my duties was on nights I closed to make the deposits. I had to total up the checks on an adding machine and attach the tape to the checks. At any rate, I got to the point where I didn't even have to look at the keys, the fingers on my right hand just knew which key to hit when my eyes saw the amount on the check. Easy-peasy.

But now when I'm dialing the phone and looking at the number cause it's not familiar, like at work sometimes....like today for instance, the fingers on my right hand end up resorting to what they knew before and typing a 3 instead of a 9 or a 1 instead of a 7.

If the inventor of the phone keypad and the inventor of the adding machine had just gotten their shit straight, this world would be a much more consistent, not to mention less accident prone, place.

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

Wow, your life is hard. (yes, that was sarcasm :-P)

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not the DTMF pad we know and love was engineered by Bell Labs and Western Electric, you know, part of the Bell System aka Ma Bell.

They did hundreds if not thousands of hours of studies on the layouts for those dials.

So that's why a phone dial is different from an adding machine.

I'm at home on both.